Wanted: Correct columns for Victor M (Monarch)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Wanted: Correct columns for Victor M (Monarch)

Post by chriswch2003 »

It looks like my Victor M (Monarch, serial 51119) has the wrong columns. The lower pedestals are not tall enough and the columns are not fluted. Could it be that this is a rare variant of an M? Because it looks very good, seamless and contemporary.
IMG_9675.jpg

JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Wanted: Correct columns for Victor M (Monarch)

Post by JeffR1 »

I'm pretty new here, so I don't have specific knowledge of these machines, but it's not just the fluting on the columns and the width of the crowns that are different.
The molding is different above and below the columns, yours is simpler.
I think it's factory, what are the chances of someone changing that out, it's darn near impossible with out destroying the cabinet getting the fluted columns off.
The colour of the finish, the patina and even the grain pattern match the rest of the cabinet, if it was changed, it was done very early in it's life, or it was ordered that way.
It's not surprising given the cost of these machines when new, that someone would order a custom cabinet now and then, something a wealthy person would do.

At any rate try here, the ones shown are different, but they may make some that fit, but I advise you just to leave it.
Talking from experience of someone who restored antique furniture for more then 30 years.

I think you're going to open up a can of worms trying to change it out.

http://www.victroladoctor.com/cabinet-parts/
Attachments
Fluting Gone.JPG

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Hi JeffR1,
thank you for your good advice. I am still not sure what to do, and add here a sketch and a better picture of my columns. I could try to remove the bottom bases (B), shorten the center shafts (C) by ¼", carve the 24 fillets into them by hand, add new longer bottom bases (B), and leave the top capitals (A) alone. The "as it should be" measurements are the best guess I could obtain from looking at published pictures of a Monarch senior. Owners of one should please correct me if I made mistakes. I should do nothing that risks to lower the value of the machine, since I want to sell it.
Untitled-2.jpg
IMG_9691.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I agree that this looks original. If you plan to sell it anyway, LEAVE IT ALONE. :roll:
Removing (or trying to remove) the columns and trying to match the wood and finish will likely screw it up and leaving it, as found, won't make any difference to the next buyer...

Thanks for the graphic...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Curt has outstepped me... I was going to say the very same : leave it alone, as it looks very original. One never knows what did they make at the factory, maybe this was a surplus case, a custom made model or whatever. If you tinkle with it, yyou're going to spoil its originality, and god knows what more! If you manipulate it, iit will loose part of its current value...
Inigo

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Thank you all for your unanimous opinions. You made me feeling better now - and saved me countless hours of work. Remains to clean the motor, and make it silent. I'll come back, when it's finished. Thanks again, Kris

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice! ;)
Inigo

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Really? The color and grain look different enough to me. I'd say it definitely did not come from the factory that way. These cabinets were made by the 1000's and they are all the same. Factory's don't like one offs. Regarding changing them, that is up to the owner. I agree it may look worse in the end trying to fix it.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Ask 20 different people, get 40 different opinions... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If it were mine, I would shorten and flute the columns and replace the bases. The tops look original, or at least correct. Anyone with a vertical milling machine could flute the columns. The hardest part would be removing the columns and color matching the finish.