Wanted: Tonearm parts and elbow for Monarch Senior Ionic

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Wanted: Tonearm parts and elbow for Monarch Senior Ionic

Post by chriswch2003 »

1. The tonearm of my 1908 Gramophone Co. Monarch Senior "Ionic" misses some parts of its tonearm (see picture, note that it is about 1" longer than for the Intermediate Monarch and that the hole for the swiveling rod, 3/16" is larger than for some G&TC and HMV tonearms). The original cylindric piece broken off, had the Gramophone Co. recording angel trademark sign engraved (https://i.etsystatic.com/10438453/r/il/ ... 4_n1fu.jpg). I will also be happy to get it without that trademark. How difficult is it to solder or weld that piece into place?
2. I need also the elbow connecting it to the mahogany speartip horn.
IMG_9636.jpg

JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Wanted: Tonearm parts and elbow for Monarch Senior Ionic

Post by JeffR1 »

I think I have a tone arm, I paid 159 US for it in an auction so it's kind of expensive, but that's what I would want for it. The goose neck should work, it's dimensionally the same as yours.
You could just change the whole tonearm out, but mine is a bit beat up on the "elbow" end, but looks OK from the top.
I'll post some photos later.

The goose neck is soldered in place, anyone who is skilled in doing that will make an easy job of it, it's not welded.

The horn elbow is hard to come by, I just found one here for 195.00 and got lucky. The flange type that are reproductions are cast aluminum.
The real good repros are all gone, the people that made them have passed away.
What kind of back bracket do you have, is it the one where the elbow is held in with a flange, clamp and thumb screw, or is it just the slip in type ?
There are reproductions of both on eBay.
The first photo shows an original elbow flange type and on the left, a reproduction from Peru, slip in type.
The last photo is my tonearm that I have to offer.
Funny too, I just bought a really nice gold plated tonearm for 75.00$ just a few days ago here on the forum, you could have simply nickel plated it, such as it is.
Attachments
100_2610.JPG
100_2609.JPG
100_2608.JPG
100_2545.JPG

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Hi JeffR1,
thank you for answering my search ad.
1. tonearm: I am not sure which of the two tonearms you have for sale. And I also cannot see the right ends of them. Attached is a drawing I made, that shows several variations of Victor tonearms. It is important that all essential features agree, that is the length, gooseneck size, screw, and pivot hole diameter. I found out that the tonearm of the Monarch Senior and the Victor M are identical.
2. horn elbow: Again I don't know which one you are selling. I need the one, that is marked "original", with the screw cutout on top. My back bracket is it the one where the elbow is held in with a flange, clamp and thumb screw.
Thank you again for your help,
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

My tone arm should work, there are only two that I am aware of, the earlier ones are like on your drawing in your last post on the right.
Those were in the Victor I, II and III machines for sure and from then on, on the Victor IV machines, it is like on the left tonearm.
That was their new design and had the longer taper tonearm.
Here are some better photo's of the tone arm.
Please note that it has some dents on the underside and the set screw mount has been re-soldered at some point.
It looks like it's 8 inches on that measurement, but it's less then that, but a little longer then 7-¾ inches.

I don't have the elbow you need, I was just trying to figure out which one you were trying to get.
The one on the left is a sample that is not for sale and the one on the right is a repro that I had, and I sent that one back to the eBay seller in Peru.
Sorry about the confusion on the elbows, however there are still a few reproes left in cast aluminum.

If you don't want my tone arm, Victor made the machine in the video adapted from the Victor VI out side horn machine.
Dimensionally is is the same, but you will have to find someone with a lathe to mount it on an out side horn machine.
Those tome arms in the video for the VTLA are more plentiful on eBay.
However they will be gold plated, so you will have to have it done in nickel.

Also, if you have the tone arm and it's only missing the goose neck, there's lots on eBay that will work, you just have to know how to solder _ a jig would be required and it may need nickel plating once the soldering job is done.

If you're still not sure about my tonearm, you may try it, and if it doesn't work, you may send it back, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284226584475?h ... SwLqRcmfUi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBHnFL_1KSg
Attachments
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194181326311?h ... Swqclgia7J

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265308979224?h ... Sw8HVg-~oZ

This goose neck should fit in this tonearm.
You can adapt the whole tonearm, if you can live with the screws which will now face up, half way up the tone arm.
You can also fill the screw holes and nickel plate over the filled holes, the plater can do that for you.
Or you can use the goose neck mount to solder on your tonearm.

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

I may try to combine my tonearm with your "T"- and gooseneck pieces, including the big screw, if I get convinced that soldering would not change the nickel shine. How much is your tonearm, including shipping to Canada V4Z 1K7?

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

chriswch2003 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:03 pm I may try to combine my tonearm with your "T"- and gooseneck pieces, including the big screw, if I get convinced that soldering would not change the nickel shine. How much is your tonearm, including shipping to Canada V4Z 1K7?
I paid 159.00 US in an eBay auction, so that equates to around a little over 200.00 Canadian.
So I would like to get 200.00$ Canadian, what would you offer if you think that's too much ?
If you give me the 200, I won't charge the shipping, we are all in Canada, I'm on the B.C. coast.

If you use my bits on your tonearm, you may have to re-plate it.
Unsoldering may ruin the plating because it would have been soldered first and then plated.
Heating things up after the fact may discolour the nickel, but you be able to polish that out, it's hard to say.

chriswch2003
Victor Jr

Post by chriswch2003 »

Thank you for your offer. I will answer it by PM.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

OK... :)