Value of amberol cylinders

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Burt68
Victor Jr

Value of amberol cylinders

Post by Burt68 »

I’m looking at buying more amberol cylinders and I see asking prices all over the map, usually with no listing of titles. Chances are there will be a lot of overlap with my current collection. How do I determine a fair price given I might want to resell some? Any guidance would be appreciated.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Value of amberol cylinders

Post by drh »

Burt68 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:31 am I’m looking at buying more amberol cylinders and I see asking prices all over the map, usually with no listing of titles. Chances are there will be a lot of overlap with my current collection. How do I determine a fair price given I might want to resell some? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Asking the value of "amberol cylinders" is like asking the value of "Victor records." Everything depends on title, artist, and condition of the individual issue. Personally, I ignore a listing if a seller doesn't specify at least titles and artists. Are you looking at bulk lots? Without more, you're likely to end up with the world's largest collection of Henry Burr singing "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" and Harry Lauder singing "It's Nice to Roam in the Gloamin' on a Sunday Morning."

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I'll expand on what DRH has said ...

If you are wanting specific titles, keep notes on what they have sold for. That is the current market value. Like any collectable, the more desirable it is, expect to pay more for it, and have more competition obtaining it. You can wait for years to try find a favorite song cheap, you may never obtain it. Sometimes you will get lucky.

If you do not want the overlap in records, you must ignore bulk sales - unless you have the opportunity to see them first and the space to store them. This usually involves resale of the unwanted records. Be sure you want to do that!

You will likely end up staying focused, spending a bit more money on what you want, and enjoy your hobby now.

James.

PS: Read the YANKEE TRADER GUIDELINES and place a Wanted ad for titles you want.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

...and in turn I'll add a bit to the good advice James just offered: if you are looking at eBay to get prices, go to "advanced search" and look at prices realized for listings that actually sold. Don't go by prices in active, unsold listings. People will ask anything and everything for opening bids or "buy it now," and those figures are worse than meaningless, usually the delusions of somebody who just inherited a few beat-up commonplaces from Great Aunt Harriet and thinks they'll finance that next vacation in Bermuda. By the same token, though, be careful not to misinterpret a "fluke." Once in a while, someone will grossly over- or under-pay for something. If you see four or five sold listings for something, and one went for $50 but all the others were between $5 and $10, figure the thing was "worth" $5 to $10 and one seller got lucky. By the same token, if several listings of something went for around $50 but one brought only $5, don't count on being able to buy one for $5.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

One other tip that is just my personal preference. Avoid 4min black wax Amberol cylinders, unless you get them cheap and won't regret if they end up shattered. They were made from an inferior wax formula that tends to break, just for the heck of it. If they get cold or if you exert too much pressure changing them or the mandrel is a different temperature from the cylinder, or if you just look at them wrong, they break. Celluloid Blue Amberols or 2/4 minute celluloid Indestructibles are my favorites.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Postage costs make buying cylinders singly an expensive business. I normally buy job lots, keeping those that I want and selling on those that I don't. Again to save on postage costs for the buyer, I only sell cylinders as job lots.

I have found YouTube to be a valuable resource for listening to cylinders prior to purchase. The chances are that someone somewhere will have posted a YouTube clip of most of the cylinders you are interested in.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

And another source are the podcasts of our colleagues at the forum, and also the Internet Archive at www.archive.org which has lots of cylinders fir listening online, even the rare ones.
Inigo

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

There are so many titles on wax Amberol that were never put on the Blue Amberol. edisonplayer.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

edisonplayer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:29 am There are so many titles on wax Amberol that were never put on the Blue Amberol. edisonplayer.
You're right... they shattered before they could be copied... :lol: ;)
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife