FOR SALE: Edison Fireside A w cygnet now $850

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

FOR SALE: Edison Fireside A w cygnet now $850

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

WIN_20210528_09_42_36_Pro.jpg
I'll put up better pictures when I can get the camera charged up.

It's time to sell the Edison Fireside--Model A, combination type, has a 10-panel cygnet horn with original decal & paint on top section, repainted/dents pulled lower section (this shows wear.) Horn adjuster, rubber tube, 45-degree adaptor are Sitko replicas as is the gear cover. Gregg Cline decals, repainted bedplate, refinished oak case. Original cygnet bracket on rear, crane looks to be either old repro or original but I can't tell and I forgot. For $1200 I refinish the case & do it over with full grain fill & 10-15 coats hand-rubbed shellac. Did this on my Edison Home B and the case is hard to tell from a fine original.

Starting the price at $1200 but am not really that good at valuing antiques. I'd have thought $800 but then I see horns go for near $350, running phonographs minus reproducers go for $300, and then K-model reproducers holding around $175-180-- then there's the bit of finding the horn crane & cygnet bracket. $1200 or Best Offer.
(9/2202021. PRICE REDUCED TO $850.)

Belt is new, spring is an original and still works great (the end was stamped with an E when I pulled it out & rebuilt it), Model K reproducer currently runs on 4m as I wasn't able to get it to play without buzzing with both bars installed. Consider it as a reproducer in need of a rebuild, as it comes with both stylus bars (and both styli were rotated by Wyatt Markus.)

I really need to get it out of here. I can ship it but I could also more easily meet you somewhere in the Connecticut/Massachusetts area. I've shipped everything from a BK Graphophone to a black & brass Victor III horn to a 1919 Oliver 9 typewriter and never lost an item in transit.

It does play but I need to get the idler pulley to quit binding; verdigris causes warbling. I live in a tiny apartment & haven't got table space to work on it much--been rebuilding things in the bath or on top of the stove and that gets old quick. Still, the motor is rebuilt and it's been played publicly at street fairs -- good little machine with a fairly quiet motor.

Price too high? Send message. Curious? Message. Bored out of your gourd? Send message.

:squirrel: this away in your own collection & I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Shortly after moving to CT-- First things up in the new place were books, a heater, and the Fireside. Priorities.
DSC00959.JPG

DSC00343.JPG
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Fireside A w cygnet $1200/Offer

Post by dzavracky »

I have heard this machine in person and can attest to it sounding fantastic! ;)

Best of luck with the sale Charles,

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Fireside A w cygnet $1200/Offer

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Reduced price.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Fireside A w cygnet now $850

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

woah, what a deal!
This ought to sell soon at that price.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 pm woah, what a deal!
This ought to sell soon at that price.
A lot of people on here already own Firesides, and this could possibly save the buyer a bit to finish the reproducer rebuild. I left it in 4m mode (the 2m bar is included with it) because I have some problems rebuilding the K reproducer. $1200 was closer to the eBay price. Cygnet horns are going for ludicrous money on there for whatever reason.

If it doesn't sell, then I have no problems keeping it here.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

lol, eBay prices for anything is ridiculous. You should see how much brass Orthophonic reproducers are going for

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:11 pm lol, eBay prices for anything is ridiculous. You should see how much brass Orthophonic reproducers are going for
I know they're ridiculous, but they're selling them for that on that site. I was waiting a bit here and if nobody bites, I'll turn there perhaps & see what happens. Just because it seems high on the collector's market doesn't mean that there aren't people who are paying those prices. A bit odd, but the market for this stuff has always confused me.