Looking for an exterior horn disc machine for my preacher cousin.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Looking for an exterior horn disc machine for my preacher cousin.

Post by Marty Bufalini »

My young cousin, newly married and a gifted, inspiring preacher, wants an outside horn working disc machine. Obviously, he’s on a limited budget but I’d really like to help him out. His budget is about $500.00. I know, I know. That’s not a lot for what he wants but he wants it to use, not as a display piece. I told him it may not happen within his price range, but I’d try. I promised him I’d give him some records if he got a machine. He blames me for catching the bug! He loves the old music.
He lives in Windsor, Ontario.

Any help or leads you can send my way would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

ts_13
Victor II

Re: Looking for an exterior horn disc machine for my preacher cousin.

Post by ts_13 »

Look for a Stard Model A or something of the like. Should be much cheaper that $500. Surely someone will have one.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

A forum member Pete Stratford posted this to you:

"There is a pretty decent horn model Columbia for sale on Facebook Market place New Brunswick ( Canada). They are only asking $500 Canadian, which is a great deal. The search word is Gramophone. "
Capture 11.JPG
Since your Cousin is also in Eastern Canada....this might be a no brainer of a deal. Hope they have tried to reach out to the seller already.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

I didn't disappear. Just been busy.

Anyway, Pete, we moved fast on the Columbia but missed it. Thanks, though,

He does not intend to use it for preaching. He just got bitten by the bug after seeing my collection over the years and likes the old time music and wants to play it, much like most of us do, for fun and relazation.

I appreciate all the suggestions for a table top machine and we'll use that as a last resort because he really wants an external horn machine.

Thanks for all your suggestions and please keep us in mind.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Depending on your location, external horn machines may be harder to find at a good price. A VV-IV or VV-VI internal horn machine is a good alternative. It was several years after I began in the hobby that I got an outside horn machine. Edison Standard cylinder machines are usually reasonably priced, but I noticed the preference for a disc model. I know where there is a box of Standard label disc records available near me (I live in Texas).

Don