FOR SALE: Victor III- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: FOR SALE: Victor III- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Well, this weekend I'll be taking the horn to my local instrument repair shop, to get that seam fixed. I hope that I can bring it up to a value of $2000 or so.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Well, this weekend I'll be taking the horn to my local instrument repair shop, to get that seam fixed. I hope that I can bring it up to a value of $2000 or so.
If you put a wood horn on it, you'll be there... metal horn, no...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Curt A wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:13 pm
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Well, this weekend I'll be taking the horn to my local instrument repair shop, to get that seam fixed. I hope that I can bring it up to a value of $2000 or so.
Curt posted exactly what I was thinking.

I think that it is a nice machine in the mid teens range, but not $2000 without a special horn. Just my opinion.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Curt A wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:13 pm
not even if I go all the way restoring it?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Restoring it "all the way" may actually devalue it, depending on how well the horn repair and cabinet finish repairs are done, and what other things you do and how well they are done to then be called restored.
You wouldnt class changing the oil, filters, & spark plugs and wipers as restoring a car's motor.
I'd call these servicing or maintainence, the same with phono motors and soundbox gaskets, because these are needed to ensure they operate smoothly and safely

You have to remember too that for example, even a well repaired horn is still a repaired horn so it will never be as valuable or desirable as a good original example.

And like real estate, you can easily invest too much money into doing renovations and repairs which you'll never get back in resale value, especially when you have to outsource and pay for the work being done and very limited with the many DYI skills and experience needed to do every aspect of a restoration yourself.

In the end though, no matter what your skill set is, what's been done or hasn't, it's originality or faults, no machine is going to sell at an unrealistic price, and no amount of work, money or restoration is going to encourage someone to pay far more than it's worth.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

If this Victor III was mine I'd be pleased to realize $1200 tops for it with all aspects of this particular example considered. Realizing any more than that would be pure luck even on eBay. It's a desirable Victor model but it's also very commonly found especially with the Victor metal flower horn. The gap in the horn seam and flaking finish are factors that most prospective buyers would consider in their evaluation too.

Doug

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

At the risk of being blasted off this forum, I will offer my opinion - whatever it is worth.... :lol:

Try a high end consignment shop or antiques dealer in your area. I notice that external horn machines do pretty well with the "antiques crowd," especially those who "never" see an antique phonograph and think all Victrolas of any kind are worth a "ton of money." I think there are collectors that are a more seasoned than me on this forum and they can probably offer better advice on your machine's fair market value. I am a business historian and amateur collector, at best. But, this forum may not be the best place to sell a machine unless it is "ultra rare" or "ultra cheap."

Y'all go easy on me - I don't mean any disrespect. But, every store I wander into (in VA and NC), I can't find an external horn machine... and when I do, it is quite often an awkwardly expensive price! I don't think this seller is out of line with a starting point of $2,000 and maybe entertain reasonable offers....

- Chris

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Granby wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:00 pm At the risk of being blasted off this forum, I will offer my opinion - whatever it is worth.... :lol:

Try a high end consignment shop or antiques dealer in your area. I notice that external horn machines do pretty well with the "antiques crowd," especially those who "never" see an antique phonograph and think all Victrolas of any kind are worth a "ton of money." I think there are collectors that are a more seasoned than me on this forum and they can probably offer better advice on your machine's fair market value. I am a business historian and amateur collector, at best. But, this forum may not be the best place to sell a machine unless it is "ultra rare" or "ultra cheap."

Y'all go easy on me - I don't mean any disrespect. But, every store I wander into (in VA and NC), I can't find an external horn machine... and when I do, it is quite often an awkwardly expensive price! I don't think this seller is out of line with a starting point of $2,000 and maybe entertain reasonable offers....

- Chris
I'm probably just going to go to my local phonograph/78 store and ask the owner if I can sell it there. I'm sure I can get around $2000 if I restore it and sell it there. Thank you for the advice!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Whatever works... keep us posted and best of luck. Any advice given here is not meant to be critical, just realistic.

If you can get $2,000, more power, but realize that you wouldn't be screwed by accepting less...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Curt A wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:37 pm Whatever works... keep us posted and best of luck. Any advice given here is not meant to be critical, just realistic.

If you can get $2,000, more power, but realize that you wouldn't be screwed by accepting less...
yeah, that's true.