FOR SALE: Victor III- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: FOR SALE: Victor III- $2,200

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:14 pm
This is a pretty nice machine! there's a little finish flaking (mostly from the idiot who put masking tape on). The nickel is, I think, dirty but not worn. I haven't rebuilt anything, but the motor works (and sounds) really great, I've only heard a clunk a few times at all over the last month I've had this. Unfortunately, there's a small gap in one of the horn seams. I haven't rebuilt the reproducer, but I can if you want. I live in Minneapolis but if you're not in Minnesota and really, really want this we can work out shipping.
Asking $2,200
feel free to ask any questions.
You describe:
"a little finish flaking"... so the finish needs attention.
"I haven't rebuilt anything"... at the minimum the Exhibition needs servicing.
"I've only heard a clunk a few times"... so both springs need servicing.
"there's a small gap in one of the horn seams"... I initially thought, before you added photos, you were describing a wood horn. I have no clue how to repair an open seam when the panels should be crimped together but this is a big negative.

You are basically describing a project machine not one that is ready to be displayed and played regularly. When I originally read your post I thought your were selling a Victor III with an oak horn. A project Victor III with a very desirable wood horn could easily be priced at $2200 even with an open seam in the wood horn.. A Victor III with an open seamed Flower horn is a different story and worth substantially less. Online prices are all over the place. I would suggest searching eBay and use an "advanced search" and click on "sold" listings. Also the Antique Phonograph Society's website has a price guideline. I make these comments and suggestions with the best intentions.

Respectfully submitted,
Jerry Blais
I certainly would not call this a "project machine". I would however, expect a machine like this to be priced between $1200 & $1500. No criticism whatsoever intended towards the seller or towards the machine. Just my opinions, worth what you paid for them ;) I would be proud to own it.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Is the split in the horn at about the 3 o'clock position in the photo? How would anyone make that repair and the cost?

Jerry B.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: FOR SALE: Victor III- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

OK, for now this phono is not available. I'll be, at the least, regreasing the springs, cleaning up the tonearm, and rebuilding the reproducer. If there's any way that I can remedy the finish damage and the splitting horn, I'll do that too. A quick question- should the felt be replaced? To me it looks pretty green but if that's a good idea, then I'll do that too.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

I wouldn't replace the felt, if it's OK, then leave it, even if it has a few stains or spots.
New felt on a machine where the patina is left looks incorrect, at least it does to me.

Send the new felt along, it's easy enough for the buyer to replace it, some cleaning, a little spray contact cement and a new X-acto blade and you're done.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm Is the split in the horn at about the 3 o'clock position in the photo? How would anyone make that repair and the cost?

Jerry B.
Why does it need to be repaired? Not like it's about to fall apart. It's old... ;)

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265198571472?h ... cvip-panel

The machine from the eBay auction above is a similar Victor III, except that it has a nice, smooth Oak horn. It sold for $2400. eBay takes 10%, so the seller gets $2160, (typically there is a forum discount accounting for the absence of fees). The Oak horn is probably worth approximately $600 more than the flower horn, so that would bring the equivalent price to $1560, which seems about right. My 2 cents would put this machine at $1400 to $1600, ($1700 on eBay).

Both look like nice examples. The forum is probably a poor place to sell a Victor III because being a wonderful and fairly plentiful machine, many of the members that want one already have one, (just my opinion).
Last edited by Django on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

That horn looks new too me, probably made by Don Gfell.
The oak is too tight from young trees, the quarter sawn oak pattern is not defined enough and is packed too close together.

EBay takes 10% up to 100 dollars the last time I sold something.

EDIT:
Definitely a new horn, I can see modern glue oozing out from under the finishing edge of the ring.
Attachments
Glue Ooz.JPG
Last edited by JeffR1 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

For reference the Victor III on display in the Vintage Radio & Communications Museum up here in Windsor, CT, is in comparable condition and has a No. 2 reproducer instead of the correct Exhibition.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

JeffR1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:52 pm That horn looks new too me, probably made by Don Gfell.
The oak is too tight from young trees, the quarter sawn oak pattern is not defined enough and is packed too close together.

EBay takes 10% up to 100 dollars the last time I sold something.
That could be one of Don’s horns, but not sold as a reproduction. I was just attempting to estimate a value for the member’s machine. A single machine is a poor reference, but the only other comparable Victor III in the completed auctions sold for a best offer, so anyone’s guess.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Why does it need to be repaired? Not like it's about to fall apart. It's old... ;)
I suppose everyone has their own threshold for repairs being needed or not. If I see a machine and my eye is drawn to a repairable flaw I would be inclined to make the repair or replacement. Some argue that a flaw is part of a machine's history and should be left alone. I would argue that history is an ongoing process that does not stop and, if needed, a repair should be made.

If this Victor III were mine, the split between panels would really bug me. But that repair is beyond my skillset. I would be looking for a nicer horn to replace the current horn.

Jerry B.