Wanted: Motor Board For Credenza

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Wanted: Motor Board For Credenza

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

Hi everybody, I’m looking to convert my electric credenza to a wind up version. Would anyone be willing to trade my electric board for a spring one? Or does anyone have one they want to sell?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Wanted: Motor Board For Credenza

Post by JerryVan »

Be very careful to check the dimensions of a spring motor type motor board before you buy/trade it. Not because it's a switch from electric to spring motor, but because even though most Credenzas look alike, Victor made lots of subtle changes in cabinet design that can make a motor board swap a frustrating ordeal. Even the board mounting screw hole locations can be different in an otherwise identical board.
Last edited by JerryVan on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

the shop near me has at least one parts Credenza. I'll ask for you.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Mahogany or Walnut? I have this one from a walnut machine. The motor and crank are also available. This motor board is 13 ⅜" x 24 ¾".
Attachments
IMG_1452.JPG

JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

Django wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:37 pm Mahogany or Walnut? I have this one from a walnut machine. The motor and crank are also available. This motor board is 13 ⅜" x 24 ¾".
Silly question, how do I tell the wood type?

JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:34 pm the shop near me has at least one parts Credenza. I'll ask for you.
That’s much appreciated! Where is the shop located?

JOHNNYTREMPs
Victor Jr

Post by JOHNNYTREMPs »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:30 pm Be very careful to check the dimensions of a spring motor type motor board before you buy/trade it. Not because it's a switch from electric to spring motor, but because even though most Credenzas look alike, Victor made lots of subtle changes in cabinet design that can make a motor board swap a frustarting ordeal. Even the board mounting screw hole locations can be different in an otherwise identical board.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll be sure to check carefully

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Johnny:

I see you just recently joined the forum. I don't know if you're a new-bee to the hobby, or what your knowledge is of Victrolas, etc.. If you're relatively new to Victrolas, I thought I'd mention a few things so there are no "surprises" for you, going forward.

First of all, I do not want to tell you what to do, since this Credenza is "your baby," and you have every right to do with it what you want. Also, I don't know what condition this model is in, or how much work was done to it--refinishing, etc. Nor do I know if this was originally equipped with an electric motor at the factory, and you simply want to swap it for a spring motor, or if it had originally been equipped with a spring motor that a later owner replaced with an electric one, and you want to restore it to its original condition.

Just in case you're not aware of this, IF this was originally fitted with an electric motor, the manufacture's ID plate should indicate this. An electric motor-equipped "Credenza" will be identified as a "Credenza X", and a VV-8-30 will be identified as a "VE-8-30" on the ID plate --

See: http://www.victor-victrola.com/8-1.htm
and: http://www.victor-victrola.com/Dataplat ... mation.htm

There will also be corresponding information about the type of motor installed on the paper label, normally affixed to the bottom of the cabinet, and the back board will be fitted with small vent holes, not found on spring powered models.

So, this is a long-winded way of saying that replacing a factory-installed electric motor with a spring motor will be easy to spot for most collectors, and it may have a negative impact the Credenza's re-sale value--should you decide to sell it at some point--especially if it was in, otherwise, pristine shape. What that impact would be, I can't say.

In any event, whatever you decide, good luck.

OrthoFan

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

JOHNNYTREMPs wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:32 pm
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:34 pm the shop near me has at least one parts Credenza. I'll ask for you.
That’s much appreciated! Where is the shop located?
Minneapolis, MN