CLOSED: Victor RE-45 (was $100 or best offer)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

CLOSED: Victor RE-45 (was $100 or best offer)

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hello forum folks--

Time to sell the old RE-45. Out of space, trying to make space, and really need it in gone. It's a good addition to the collection but the more I mess with old electronics the more I appreciate standard hand-cranked phonographs.

I've made a very accurate replica power cord for it, rebuilt the motor which runs nicely, and surprised myself by finding the AM radio and amplifier still works. Comes with all 10 tubes, newest tubes are dated 1939 but some are still the old balloon/globe type. The finish isn't perfect but finding one with no burnt components is nice--could use either re-veneered or replaced doors, but the old doors & all trim are present. AM radio sounds great and tunes accurately on original celluloid dial with a nice bright light on an original lightbulb.

I'll get better pics when I get a chance.
Comes with original owner's manual. Machine is located in New Britain CT for the next couple weeks & is being moved to Cromwell, CT.

This machine _must_ go; I got it to keep it from getting ruined in a basement of non-collecting people in a slum apartment. I moved to a nice place now & would rather finish my Edison cylinder projects instead of having to deal with this, and feel that right now the machine is better off in the hands of someone experienced with preserving early electrics.
The blue tickets are removed & don't come with it.
The blue tickets are removed & don't come with it.
DSC01111.JPG
A handsome old fellow for sure.
A handsome old fellow for sure.
Tapestry grill cloth in great shape same as the speaker
Tapestry grill cloth in great shape same as the speaker
Fun stuff found in it
Fun stuff found in it
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Re: For Sale: Victor RE-45 with working radio, $100 or offer

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'm going over to remove some books & the pump organ. If anyone wishes for RE-45 pics please message me. No offers rejected. You want a $30 RE-45--this may be your lucky day!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

CLOSED: Victor RE-45 with working radio, $100 or offer

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Expect RE-45 small parts, such as door pulls, hingepins, snall trim pieces, turntable start switch & volume potentiometer, maybe cabinet legs etc., for sale shortly. I think I've already found someone who wants a good Victor induction motor.

It survived the move down the staircase and over here, but I'm going to be using the machine as a donor to rebuild a locally found RE-45 that's in a beautiful cabinet except the amp, radio, and loudspeaker are gone. So this particular example will be scrapped as a parts donor for the other, and the outer shell will probably become a bookshelf.

Even though the RE-45 is probably my favorite Electrola style, this has been an albatross around my neck since I got it--in fact, once I finished building the sewing-machine that was found with it & got my commission on the sale, I ended up with $50 for hauling it off. I don't look forward to breaking up any working machine but I am going to build a clean RE-45 with this out of an already emptied but beautiful cabinet, so, given the circumstances, it's about the only time I feel OK about scrapping such an interesting old Victrola.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: CLOSED: Victor RE-45 (was $100 or best offer)

Post by PeterF »

Hey, just for fun, can you please tell us the address of the cactus needle seller, Peter Grey, Inc.? Can’t quite make it out. I live in an adjacent town, and would enjoy seeing what the location looks like today. Thanks

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

PeterF wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:53 pm Hey, just for fun, can you please tell us the address of the cactus needle seller, Peter Grey, Inc.? Can’t quite make it out. I live in an adjacent town, and would enjoy seeing what the location looks like today. Thanks
Hi Peter-- I'll check those papers & let you know maybe by this evening.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

PeterF wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:53 pm Hey, just for fun, can you please tell us the address of the cactus needle seller, Peter Grey, Inc.? Can’t quite make it out. I live in an adjacent town, and would enjoy seeing what the location looks like today. Thanks
OK found it-

Peter Grey, INC
Oakland, California
Thirteenth Avenue at 2029.

Enjoy your phonograph archaeology!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Are you sure it says “at 2029”? Could it be anything else? There are two sheets - are they consistent to each other?

Thanks.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Are you sure it says “at 2029”? Could it be anything else? There are two sheets - are they consistent to each other?

Thanks.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well, how about that. Never mind!
Attachments
A125DEE1-C9A9-4CC7-B7EE-9F49377259BE.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The sheets I found were pure hyperbole-- Audiophile puffpieces never change.

My guess is that it was done out of a private residence.