Victor I

WANTED: Columbia Concert mandrel Adapter for MacDonald AB

Post by Moooperator »

Does not matter if it is reproduction or original. Looks like this:

JohnM
Victor V

Re: WANTED: Columbia Concert mandrel Adapter for MacDonald AB

Post by JohnM »

For a Graphophone it would be a ‘Grand’ mandrel. Edison made the ‘Concert’, but I’m sure that you know this.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Does anyone have addition pictures for comparison of an original?? Also were these mandrel's aluminum or brass??

Thanks in advance

blizz

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

I guess that would be a NO... lol

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

I don’t have pic of an original but they were aluminum.
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Jean Paul Agnard in Canada used to make them, but no longer. He and family still attend and set up at shows, so they remain somewhat active. You might try contacting him, perhaps they have a NOS one available. I believe he is a member of this forum.

With due respect to a previous poster, this adapter is intended to play Concert cylinders made of both Columbia and Edison and if I were looking for one would refer to it as a Concert adapter just as the OP did. The listing title would not make any sense if Grand were used instead. Also, nobody uses the term Grand when referring to the little AB.

Raphael

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:18 am
With due respect to a previous poster, this adapter is intended to play Concert cylinders made bf both Columbia and Edison and if I were looking for one would refer to it as a Concert adapter just as the OP did. The listing title would not make any sense if Grand were used instead. Also, nobody uses the term Grand when referring to the little AB.

Raphael
With due respect to both John and Raphael, Columbia never made a "Concert" cylinder record. The term "Concert" was trademarked by Edison. This would have been tantamount to Ford renaming the Thunderbird a "Corvette." All Columbia 5-inch cylinder records and 5-inch machines to play them were marketed as "Grands."

That said, it seems that beginning around the 1950s-60s, some collectors began conflating original marketing terms as well as inventing their own. (I've tried to pinpoint when someone decided the AB should be called the "Macdonald" - with various spellings - but so far I've failed to discover the culprit.) Then there's "crank handle" used to denote the entire crank. Victrola IV and VI being called "Victor IV" and Victor VI." Nickel plate called chrome. Any spring-driven talking machine called a "Victrola." And on, and on, and on...

I used to take the trouble to clarify these terms when I saw them misused on the internet. I rarely do so anymore - it's too big a job, never-ending, and ultimately people don't like you for it. Just yesterday on a the APS Facebook Group, I politely pointed out to a collector that what he pictured as an "1895 Berliner record" was actually recorded on April 7, 1898 - as shown on the label. He argued with me.

It has become increasingly clear to me that many - and perhaps most - people don't really care about facts or accuracy. For a guy like me, who is somewhat obsessed with facts, accuracy, and precise language, this behavior is bewildering and rather frustrating. In my personal and professional life, I have seen first-hand the unwanted (and unnecessary) results of miscommunication. I'm sure we all have.

Admittedly, it's unlikely that anyone will be seriously compromised by misusing phonographic terminology (until they pay a few thousand dollars for that "Victor VI"!). And it's not my job to save the world either. While John is correct in pointing out the proper names and terms used in our hobby, I have gradually decided that it's generally a quixotic exercise unless the person appears to be interested in learning. I do, however, applaud the gesture. I just lack the energy and interest anymore. I'd rather build sand castles with my grandkids.

Best to all,
George P.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

George,

I bow to your 100% correctness and accuracy. I stand appropriately chastised. I've not been involved with phonographs nearly as long as you or others here (only about 20 years) and have yet to hear somebody ask for or refer to a "Grand cylinder" until now but I will keep my ears peeled and appropriately segregate my Edison Concert and Columbia Grand cylinders so they do not intermingle ("familiarity breeds contempt").

It's also good that you make sand castles with your grand kids (was that a hidden pun or just accidental?).....proof that there is life beyond phonographs!

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION: Here is JPA's website listing: http://www3.sympatico.ca/jean-paul.agna ... uction.htm

Raphael

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:38 pm George,

I bow to your 100% correctness and accuracy. I stand appropriately chastised. I've not been involved with phonographs nearly as long as you or others here (only about 20 years) and have yet to hear somebody ask for or refer to a "Grand cylinder" until now but I will keep my ears peeled and appropriately segregate my Edison Concert and Columbia Grand cylinders so they do not intermingle ("familiarity breeds contempt").

Raphael
As I wrote earlier, my obsession doesn't make me particularly likeable! ;)

George P.

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

Sooooooo... does anyone have a grand cylinder adapter out there for my Micky D Roll player. 8-)