FOR SALE: Exceedingly Rare 1918 World War I U.S. Army LIBERTY DRIVERS Portable Phonograph $750 See Video & Pictures

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
FellowCollector
Victor IV

FOR SALE: Exceedingly Rare 1918 World War I U.S. Army LIBERTY DRIVERS Portable Phonograph $750 See Video & Pictures

Post by FellowCollector »

----Please see pictures and play video to see and hear this wonderful machine playing----

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Z0DrRddCg&t=3s[/YouTube]

The U.S. Army "Liberty Truck" was a heavy-duty truck produced by the United States Army during World War I.

It was designed by the Quartermaster Corps with help from the Society of Automotive Engineers in 1917 in an effort to help standardize the immense parts catalogue and multiple types of vehicles then in use by the US military. A heavy duty U.S. Army truck was needed that possessed all the best features of heavy truck technology then available. It was the first official standardized motor vehicle adopted and produced by the US Military.

Since there is no known documentation I could find about the U.S. Liberty Drivers portable phonograph I am offering for sale here I can only speculate. I'm presuming the U.S. Army provided these portable phonographs to the drivers of the U.S. Liberty Trucks for transporting and entertaining U.S. Army soldiers of World War I.

Only about 9,000 U.S. Army Liberty Trucks were produced and I'm very confident that very few of these U.S. Liberty Drivers portable phonographs have survived.

This phonograph has been extremely well cared for. The motor runs whisper quiet and perfectly true to 78rpm speed. The original leatherette covering is in overall amazing condition. The original nickel plating is excellent. The original reproducer and diaphragm are excellent. The sound produced by this phonograph is simply AMAZING! (Please play the video to see and hear for yourself!)

The only very minor detractions I can find on this are:
1) the original black leather covering on the handle has completely disintegrated with age leaving the heavily wound pale-white original spiral lining. The handle remains incredibly strong!
2) the inside compartment where the tonearm and reproducer are stored has needle scrapes from the original U.S. Liberty Driver replacing the tonearm assembly over time during use

I may be open to reasonable offers on this rare and historically significant phonograph.

Send a PM with interest. No holds please. PayPal Friends payment. Packaged securely. Shipped promptly. USPS shipping cost additional at cost.

Thanks!
Doug

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Z0DrRddCg&t=3s[/YouTube]
Attachments
IMG_8586.JPG
IMG_8587.JPG
IMG_8588.JPG
IMG_8589.JPG
IMG_8590.JPG
IMG_8591.JPG
IMG_8592.JPG
IMG_8594.JPG