SOLD! : Spare Horn $85

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

SOLD! : Spare Horn $85

Post by Jerry B. »

I believe this horn was used on a front mount Zonophone but not sure it's an actual Zonophone horn. It has a 13" bell and an overall length of 28.5" including the elbow. The price is $85 plus postage. I provided the dimensions so you can suggest a carton size and determine postage from 97321 to you. The horn is light and you'll be paying for dimensional size. Buyer to pay postage and cost of a new carton. Please PM with any questions but the buyer is the first to PM "SOLD!"

Thanks, Jerry B.
Attachments
tempImageQgrJai.gif
tempImagefIrE2N.gif
tempImageXLzSEX.gif
tempImageBb4T15.gif
tempImagenhiPH5.gif
tempImagekSA3rL.gif
tempImagexT74xJ.gif
Last edited by Jerry B. on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisg
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: Spare Horn $85

Post by chrisg »

Sold

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Sold
What size carton would you like it packed?

The horn weighs 2 pounds. Add a guesstimate for carton weight and packing material. With that total weight and size of the carton, go to Pirate Ship for the cost of shipping from me to you. I've used Pirate Shipping for a couple of years now with excellent results. Please let me know the carrier, UPS, USPS, etc plus the speed of delivery such as next day air or ground, etc. It should be easy. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Jerry B.

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Pm sent

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I've asked buyers to determine the size of carton to ship horns. The cost changes dramatically with changes in carton size.

The horn is 28.5" long with a 13" bell.

If you ship in a carton just bigger than the horn (30"x14"x14") the cost for UPS Ground is $41.

If you ship in a carton that's 32"x16"x16" the cost for UPS Ground is $54.

If you ship in a carton that's 34"x18"x18" the cost for UPS Ground is $69.

If you ship in a carton that's37"x21"x21" the cost for UPS Ground is $89.

As a seller I want the item to get to the buyer is the same condition as shipped. I've always thought you should ship in a carton 4" larger in each direction for safe shipping. To get close to those dimensions you'd need the largest carton above. It more than doubles the cost of the small carton and costs more than the actual cost of the $85 horn. So if I tell the buyer that it cost $89 to ship a $85 horn the buyer may say it's not worth it. I've gone to a fair amount of cost and effort to get to that point. I'm trying really hard to avoid being told it's not worth it.

That's why I'm asking buyers to determine the size of carton including thickness of material (regular or extra strength) as well as size. I don't make a dime on packing or shipping but I'd like to break even.

Thanks, Jerry Blais

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Jerry B. wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:07 pm I've asked buyers to determine the size of carton to ship horns. The cost changes dramatically with changes in carton size.

If you ship in a carton just bigger than the horn (30"x14"x14") the cost for UPS Ground is $41.

As a seller I want the item to get to the buyer is the same condition as shipped. I've always thought you should ship in a carton 4" larger in each direction for safe shipping. To get close to those dimensions you'd need the largest carton above. It more than doubles the cost of the small carton and costs more than the actual cost of the $85 horn. So if I tell the buyer that it cost $89 to ship a $85 horn the buyer may say it's not worth it. I've gone to a fair amount of cost and effort to get to that point. I'm trying really hard to avoid being told it's not worth it.

That's why I'm asking buyers to determine the size of carton including thickness of material (regular or extra strength) as well as size. I don't make a dime on packing or shipping but I'd like to break even.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
One way to reduce the size of the box and still safely ship is to line it with hard foam insulation, first the sides, then slide in the bottom piece which holds the side panels tight against the cardboard. Then, if the horn is fully surrounded by packing material, you can almost stand on that box and it won't collapse, damage the horn. Of course a 4 x 8 sheet of foam insulation is not so cheap either...

Kevin Clark
Victor I

Post by Kevin Clark »

H & S horn with a repro elbow.

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Post by studebakerphonos »

WOW Jerry,

Great explanation on shipping dilemmas and costs.....

It is a hard thing to calculate and then explain shipping issues to folks, takes a lot of time too.

Where is Parcel Post when you need them ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jerry B. wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:07 pm I've asked buyers to determine the size of carton to ship horns. The cost changes dramatically with changes in carton size.

Thanks, Jerry Blais