SOLD: EMG Xb in California- $6500

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Garret
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: EMG Xb in California- INQUIRE

Post by Garret »

A couple points:

1. Prices are down
2. The machine is in the USA. If you want to move it out of California, it's could cost a pretty penny.

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: EMG Xb in California- INQUIRE

Post by Raphael »

This type of “Best Offer” sale (without an asking price) turns off many potential buyers. Without a closing date/time means a buyer may have to wait forever to know the status of their offer.

About 15 years ago I was contacted by a local seller, went to her house and I offered her $25,000 for her music box. She declined, and shopped the piece around for a year. In the end it went to auction, and she netted $15,000. Ever since then, I have refused to make an offer unless a seller has an asking price.

Raphael

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: FOR SALE: EMG Xb in California- $7000

Post by chunnybh »

Thanks Raphael for the advice.
Price set at $7000. First one there can collect it.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thanks for taking my advice in the spirit it was given. One more piece I might add: the “cash on collection” truly limits the seller’s range of potential buyers. For instance, in my case, living 3,000+ miles away, how do I arrange cash pickup and shipping? It’s not impossible, and I could possibly do so, but it’s enough of a pain in the butt to make me pass on the deal. She (the seller) is limiting her sale to local buyers. Perhaps you should guide the seller towards a more receptive method.

This is only friendly advice as I am not interested in the item; it is out of my wheelhouse. But after 45 years of being in business, making it easy for a customer has always been my best technique for making a sale.

Raphael

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

chunnybh wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 pm Thanks Raphael for the advice.
Price set at $7000. First one there can collect it.
She should put it up on ebay. I bet the buyer would arrange to pick it up by appointing some shipping company. Does she have any experiences on selling anything on ebay. I bought my EMG Xa and EMGinn Expert Senior on ebay. I bought my EMGinn Expert from Garret on ebay.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Raphael wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:27 pm Thanks for taking my advice in the spirit it was given. One more piece I might add: the “cash on collection” truly limits the seller’s range of potential buyers. For instance, in my case, living 3,000+ miles away, how do I arrange cash pickup and shipping? It’s not impossible, and I could possibly do so, but it’s enough of a pain in the butt to make me pass on the deal. She (the seller) is limiting her sale to local buyers. Perhaps you should guide the seller towards a more receptive method.
Second.

Supxor
Victor Jr

Post by Supxor »

I am shocked beyond belief that this machine has not been purchased. As one who owns an JUNIOR EXPERT, purchased from a fine gentleman in the UK, about two years ago (I reside in the US), Americans seem to be hesitant to purchase these EMG's. Believe me, you will not be disappointed when you hear the play-back of this gramophone. I have nothing to gain or lose, here, but anyone of you who's on the fence, as it were about this machine, get on it. They rarely come forward for sale.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Supxor wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm I am shocked beyond belief that this machine has not been purchased. As one who owns an JUNIOR EXPERT, purchased from a fine gentleman in the UK, about two years ago (I reside in the US), Americans seem to be hesitant to purchase these EMG's. Believe me, you will not be disappointed when you hear the play-back of this gramophone. I have nothing to gain or lose, here, but anyone of you who's on the fence, as it were about this machine, get on it. They rarely come forward for sale.
These things are amazing until something breaks and you need a part. I've had it happen where a soundbox spring broke. It was a nightmare getting it sorted out. Same goes for the motors... Try finding a spare Paillard GGR 255 for example...!

Batwing Victor
Victor Jr

Post by Batwing Victor »

I'd like to purchase this EMG at the advertised price, presuming it's in good working order.

I'm a local, cash, in-person buyer in Southern California. I sent you a PM and an email. Please let me know how to proceed. Thank-you for your work in making this available.

Gary Dial

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

Garret wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:51 am
Supxor wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm I am shocked beyond belief that this machine has not been purchased. As one who owns an JUNIOR EXPERT, purchased from a fine gentleman in the UK, about two years ago (I reside in the US), Americans seem to be hesitant to purchase these EMG's. Believe me, you will not be disappointed when you hear the play-back of this gramophone. I have nothing to gain or lose, here, but anyone of you who's on the fence, as it were about this machine, get on it. They rarely come forward for sale.
These things are amazing until something breaks and you need a part. I've had it happen where a soundbox spring broke. It was a nightmare getting it sorted out. Same goes for the motors... Try finding a spare Paillard GGR 255 for example...!
Yes, it happened to me, too. But I have several spare parts for those parts, luckily I collected those parts for a long period of time if I had chance. Also I made replicas for those. Maintenance for those is very important.