Need a TURNTABLE for a Victor "D" external horn phono

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
barrybehappy
Victor Jr

Need a TURNTABLE for a Victor "D" external horn phono

Post by barrybehappy »

I have a Victor "D" with a wobbly turntable. It doesn't fit snugly on the shaft and wobbles terribly. So bad it really can't play a record. I am wondering if somehow this may be a VICTOR V turntable which I am told the hole is slightly larger and it wound up on this machine? Wondering if anyone has the correct 12 inch turntable that they would be willing to sell?

thanks

Joe
Attachments
2024-04-08 23.40.04.jpg
2024-04-08 23.39.33.jpg
2024-04-08 23.39.25.jpg
2024-04-08 23.39.19.jpg
2024-04-08 23.39.04.jpg
2024-04-08 23.38.56.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Need a TURNTABLE for a Victor "D" external horn phono

Post by Phono-Phan »

Is the turntable loose on the spindle shaft or is the turntable bent? If the turntable hole is too big, a machinist can drill it and insert a sleeve that tightly fits the spindle. Do you have a correct reproducer for your machine? I believe yours should have a round hole Exhibition reproducer.

barrybehappy
Victor Jr

Post by barrybehappy »

The turntable is loose on the shaft it's not bent. Yes I have the round hole exhibition reproducer. Never thought of the machinist angle. I suppose I would have to remove the motor and bring that in to a machinist along with the turntable; so that the proper size sleeve could be determined huh?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

barrybehappy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 pm The turntable is loose on the shaft it's not bent. Yes I have the round hole exhibition reproducer. Never thought of the machinist angle. I suppose I would have to remove the motor and bring that in to a machinist along with the turntable; so that the proper size sleeve could be determined huh?
You wouldn't have to remove the whole motor, just the spindle.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Before doing any drastic changes, I would first wrap some tape around the spindle shaft and see if that fixes the wobbling problem. If that turns out to be the case, then you could either go the machinist route or try and find a better fitting turntable.

Andreas

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Sleeving the turntable should solve the issue.

barrybehappy
Victor Jr

Post by barrybehappy »

JerryVan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:09 pm
barrybehappy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:00 pm The turntable is loose on the shaft it's not bent. Yes I have the round hole exhibition reproducer. Never thought of the machinist angle. I suppose I would have to remove the motor and bring that in to a machinist along with the turntable; so that the proper size sleeve could be determined huh?
So how do you remove just the spindle?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

barrybehappy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:07 pm
JerryVan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:09 pm
So how do you remove just the spindle?
Post a picture of the motor and I can tell you more definitely. However, the first step is to let the motor wind down COMPLETELY. Even after the motor stops, check the crank for any spring tension remaining. Help the turntable around until all tension is gone. I believe for that motor you'll have a large diameter gear, and a smaller bevel gear, mounted on the spindle shaft. There should be a setscrew to hold that gear in place. Loosening the setscrew should allow the spindle to just slide up and out of the motor. (Again, pictures to confirm that.) Before you loosen the gear, note exactly how the bevel gears align. (The bevel gear is the other gear, mounted right next to the large gear.) When eventually reassembling, you'll need to align those bevel gears exactly as they were.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Barry,

If your motor looks like this, then this is the screw to remove to allow the spindle shaft to slide out. Again, precautions about letting the motor totally wind down first.
motor.png
motor.png (406.36 KiB) Viewed 138 times

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

First thing to do is verify the spindle hole is the problem using tape wrapped around the spindle.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Don't take the spindle out needlessly. Measure the spindle diameter at the bottom where the pin goes through it and give the machinist the measurement . You will only have to take the turntable to a machine shop to have it plugged and resized. The spindle is not needed..

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, pick up a cheap pair of calipers to more accurately measure the spindle.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-comp ... 63586.html

blizz