SOLD: Wayne Del. H&S Under-glass cabinet--Edison Home "A" project $495

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
outune
Victor IV

SOLD: Wayne Del. H&S Under-glass cabinet--Edison Home "A" project $495

Post by outune »

Here's another project I never completed :) Will deliver to Wayne NJ Show next weekend if sold. Sorry-- My bad back makes me limit moving larger items, so this will only make the Wayne trip if I already have a buyer. Thanks-
**Please read. I like to describe things in detail-- and sometimes go a little long :)

This is a Hawthorne and Sheble, under-glass cabinet. $495 as a "time to move things out" price :)
It's a five drawer cabinet- Each drawer will hold 28 cylinders (4 deep x 7 wide) --140 cylinders in all. I have cleaned out the old cardboard from the grooves in three of the five drawers.
There are two crank holes in the cabinet--- Apparently it was made for one model machine, then adapted long ago, to fit a Home, Model "A" long bedplate. The larger original opening measures 9 ¾" x 19" and lines up with a plugged crank hole. (Not sure what machine it originally fit)

Back in the day, a frame was made to reduce the size of the opening in order to fit a Home "A". The Home opening is 13 ¾" x 6". This perfectly fits the long bedplate Home---Original mounting screws are in the corners (see pics) The frame is obviously very old-- My guess is that a dealer adapted the cabinet for a Home, but that is simply a guess. The frame is well made and shows it's age. It had the same patina (dirt and wax) as the rest of the cabinet. An additional crank hole was put in the side to line up with the Home mechanism. I stripped and refinished the cabinet many years ago.
**I've included a scan of a picture I took just after purchasing the cabinet- It shows the top Home A frame with the same finish/patina as the rest of the cabinet.

The oak top frame (for the glass) was made by a woodworker friend about 20 years ago. He copied the frame pictures of an original frame that I provided him. It will need hinges to attach to the cabinet.

Measurements-- The top measures 27 ½" wide x 20" deep. The cabinet portion itself --> 23 ½" wide, 16" deep by 37" high.
The rear of the cabinet is also oak with a nice grain, so it could be displayed in the center of a room.

Needed to complete--->Glass, Home mech, top hinges and pegs. I will include a workable crank that was adapted to fit the longer shaft needed for the Home mechanism.

Please look at all pictures-- There are a few that show a Home mechanism installed, just to show how it had been set up. That mechanism is not included. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, but be aware that questions or offers don't hold the item. First to post sold below or PM is the buyer.
Thanks!
Brad Abell
H&S Cab2.jpg
H&S Cab3.jpg
H&S Cab4.jpg
H&S Cab5.jpg
H&S Cab6.jpg
H&S Cab7.jpg
H&S Cab8.jpg
H&S Cab9.jpg
H&S Cab10.jpg
H&S Cab11.jpg
H&S Cab12.jpg
H&S Cab13.jpg
H&S Cab14.jpg
H&S Cab15.jpg
H&S Cab16.jpg
H&S Cab17.jpg
H&S Mech1.jpg
H&S Mech2.jpg
H&S Mech3.jpg
H&S orig .jpg
Last edited by outune on Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chrisg
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: Wayne Del. H&S Under-glass cabinet--Edison Home "A" project $495

Post by chrisg »

Pm sent

outune
Victor IV

Re: SOLD: Wayne Del. H&S Under-glass cabinet--Edison Home "A" project $495

Post by outune »

Thanks Tim!!

Brad Abell