Parts for Early Victor hand driven model needed

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
solophoneman
Victor II

Parts for Early Victor hand driven model needed

Post by solophoneman »

I still am in search of a Horn (original or repro) and a suitable reproducer (original or repro), that would be compatible for a 1901 Victor Hand powered Toy Phonograph. The reproducer was unique to this machine, in that the end of the small horn fit directly into it without the use of an elbow. The Reproducer actually looked somewhat similar to the one's used on an early disc model Busy Bee. The cone shaped horn was pretty unique as well, approx 11 ½" long it had a small brace and attachment at the cone end where it connected to the support arm. You can see a photo of the $3.00 Victor toy in the "Look for the Dog Book". Or go to Mr. Victor's website to view a complete original Victor Toy Talking Machine. Again thank you to all of the kind and considerate members of this Board who have offered suggestions on this subject. It is really appreciated.

sadly, my original post on this subject (see below), has been locked up complete with all of the original off topic comments and lewd remarks that I politely asked the Moderator to remove. Mr.Moderator, could you give me the courtesy of contacting me, and letting me know why that decision was made?

Revision: Thank you, Mr. Moderator, for removing my original thread on this same topic which had been destroyed by another members persistent off topic remarks & obscene and objectionable name calling. It is much appreciated.But unfortunately, that member who engaged in the obscene and lewd remarks is still a member of this Forum, and that is extremely disappointing. Maybe at some point, you can define for all members, what would constitute behavior that would result in someone being expelled .
Last edited by solophoneman on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Parts for Early Victor hand driven model needed

Post by Phonofreak »

Bruce,
I'm glad to see that the thread is back on track. The Busy Bee reproducer fitting is the same as a cylinder horn. If that's the case on a Victor Toy, then making a horn will be easy. Like you said before, the bell on a Victor E can be removed leaving the horn with the proper dimensions. I'd suggest you get a repro from Wyatt's Musical Americana. It would be a sin to do this to an original horn. If the reproducer fitting is the same as a cylinder horn, Wyatt also sells cylinder repair cones. You can cut off the fitting and mount on the modified brass bell horn. make sure the fitting is on the inside of the horn, instead of the outside. The repair will look better and be stronger. Then take typewriter paper and cut to fit around the splice. Use crazy glue to glue the paper down. Saturate the paper with crazy glue to make it hard all around. You may have to do the a few times to get the right thickness. Then sand it using fine grit sandpaper until you get a uniform thickness. Then you can paint and stripe it. Jean-Paul Agnard makes reproduction cradles for Pucks. You can google him. I'm sure he can make you one. For the reproducer, you can use a reproduction disk Busy Bee. While these parts are not original, at least you can enjoy and demonstrate your machine until originals come up. Good luck with your machine.
Harvey Kravitz

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Phonofreak wrote:Bruce,
I'm glad to see that the thread is back on track. The Busy Bee reproducer fitting is the same as a cylinder horn. If that's the case on a Victor Toy, then making a horn will be easy. Like you said before, the bell on a Victor E can be removed leaving the horn with the proper dimensions. I'd suggest you get a repro from Wyatt's Musical Americana. It would be a sin to do this to an original horn. If the reproducer fitting is the same as a cylinder horn, Wyatt also sells cylinder repair cones. You can cut off the fitting and mount on the modified brass bell horn. make sure the fitting is on the inside of the horn, instead of the outside. The repair will look better and be stronger. Then take typewriter paper and cut to fit around the splice. Use crazy glue to glue the paper down. Saturate the paper with crazy glue to make it hard all around. You may have to do the a few times to get the right thickness. Then sand it using fine grit sandpaper until you get a uniform thickness. Then you can paint and stripe it. Jean-Paul Agnard makes reproduction cradles for Pucks. You can google him. I'm sure he can make you one. For the reproducer, you can use a reproduction disk Busy Bee. While these parts are not original, at least you can enjoy and demonstrate your machine until originals come up. Good luck with your machine.
Harvey Kravitz
Thank you Harvey, all excellent suggestions and much appreciated. I noticed those reproduction Busy Bee Reproducers on line, and that is probably what I am going to go with, along with the Repro Brass bell horn from Wyatt's Musical Americana. Sounds like a plan ! and I will be well on my way to a functional Hand driven Talking machine to demo. Thanks again.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Glad to help, Bruce. Besides phonographs, I build models, too. A lot of model building techniques can be applied to phonographs. Sometimes you have to freelance to get what you need. Post some pictures when you are done.
Harvey Kravitz