Nice Class M on eBay - only $25k

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
bostonmike1
Victor I

Re: Nice Class M on eBay - only $25k

Post by bostonmike1 »

Retrograde wrote:
New Owner wrote:
edisonphonoworks wrote:Larry told me the story behind this, it was found in an old service garage. I am not allowed to tell you any more than that.
Why aren't you allowed to tell anymore? I'm sure all of us are interested in how on Earth it came to be in a service garage.
Cosa Phono omertà 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Lets just say, the person who Larry had purchased it from at the service station would rather let the Class M go because it was electric, and thought it must be newer, than the Edison Standard that was windup, that he thought was much older and more valuable. I think this was in the early 1970s.

New Owner
Victor O

Post by New Owner »

edisonphonoworks wrote:Lets just say, the person who Larry had purchased it from at the service station would rather let the Class M go because it was electric, and thought it must be newer, than the Edison Standard that was windup, that he thought was much older and more valuable. I think this was in the early 1970s.
Oh wow.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I think I saw that same person from the service station. His tattoo really stood out...

Yes,_A_Bad_Decision.jpg
Yes,_A_Bad_Decision.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Just an update: The price has dropped to $20k now. Still well out of my price range. Oh well :roll:

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
I would like to ask a question to those of you that are experienced with class M phonographs or have seen them at recent shows. Now that the price on this machine has been reduced to 20K what do you feel is the true value of this piece?? At some point you would think that the good stuff should hold its value! I know that we are all living through difficult financial times. The stock market hasn't maintained any real gains for almost 10 years,and I have watched the price of homes In my area decline. At some point you would think that this machine like good artwork could prove to be a good long term investment? Don't get me wrong,the machines in my collection I buy because I like them and enjoy playing them not because I might get more for them one day. A Class M Phonograph I think has to be looked at a little differently.
Pete

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

flashpanblue wrote:Hello,
I would like to ask a question to those of you that are experienced with class M phonographs or have seen them at recent shows. Now that the price on this machine has been reduced to 20K what do you feel is the true value of this piece?? At some point you would think that the good stuff should hold its value! I know that we are all living through difficult financial times. The stock market hasn't maintained any real gains for almost 10 years,and I have watched the price of homes In my area decline. At some point you would think that this machine like good artwork could prove to be a good long term investment? Don't get me wrong,the machines in my collection I buy because I like them and enjoy playing them not because I might get more for them one day. A Class M Phonograph I think has to be looked at a little differently.
Pete
The value depends on who has money and how bad they want the machine. My guess is that either the machine will drop to 18K or a behind the scenes deal will go on after this auction does not get 20K. I'm sure offers have been flying in! I believe the deal price will be between 16K and 18K

The Class M will be a good stable long term investment and an excellent display piece for a collection when cleaned up. The battery is a real plus!

Steve

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Whoever gets it, please PM me and let me know what you paid for it! I need to validate my reasoning.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Relisted at 18K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antq-Ediso ... 3370b5c5ca

not mine but I wish it was LOL

blizz

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

@flashpanblue: When it comes to collectables I think the cream of the crop will always be the best investment. Whether they can compete with blue chip stocks is another subject. Financial gain is the last reason I collect phonographs, but it is a selling point to the wife that they should hold value. Condition should rightly affect the value of an item. This Class M looks rough compared to others I have seen. I recall seeing Class M's 30+ years at Union going for 4-5 thousand - there is some perspective for you. I could not afford them then, and I can't afford them now. Oh, well....