Nice Class M on eBay - only $25k

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Nice Class M on eBay - only $25k

Post by alang »

Unfortunately that exceeds the acceptance level of my wife for my hobby. OK, really mine as well, but one can still dream, correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antq-Ediso ... 336fcd6b12
Here a picture of the listing:
ClassM.JPG
Here the listing text:
RARE ANTIQUE EDISON CLASS M ELECTRIC CYLINDER PHONOGRAPH
Up for auction is an ultra rare Edison Class M phonograph. The Class M that I have up for auction is as complete and as original as they come. All of the major components are present and in great shape. The case is also as good as it gets, with original finish, and no major damage or missing pieces. It also comes with an original Edison-Lalande Type S cell battery. The lead plates for the cell are missing. There are a few parts that are not attached including the oil tube and a brush (both pictured). I am not exactly sure where the brush goes. This is obviously an un-restored piece, but for the rarity and completeness of this marvelous machine, it is sought after by many collectors all over the world.

This phonograph, besides being extremely rare, has added historical provenance. This Edison Class M came from the Clarence A. Ferguson collection. Mr. Ferguson, who died in 1971, was the last living man to have closely worked with Thomas A. Edison. This rare machine has been in Larry Donley’s phonograph museum (Union, IL.) since Ferguson’s passing.

The Class M was Edison's first major improvement on the tinfoil phonograph of 1877. After a reported 72-hour marathon session ending on the morning of June 16, 1888, Edison was photographed with his "perfected" Class M phonograph. Edison liked this picture of himself as the "the Napoleon of Invention" so much that he had it copied as an oil painting which was displayed in his office for the rest of his life.

Made several years before the invention of a suitable spring-driven phonograph motor, the Class M is driven by an electric motor powered by a heavy set of Edison-Lalande Type S cells. Although most people think of the Class M as being powered by early Grenet cells, such as was pictured in the famous photograph of Edison below, those laboratory batteries were superseded by the superior Edison-Lalande cells after 1889, by the time the Class M went into the commercial market.

The governor, hidden under the bedplate in most phonographs, is prominently positioned on top of the machine, mounted vertically. Class M Phonographs were manufactured through 1890 for the North American Phonograph Company, which originally attempted to lease them as business machines for dictation. This proved to be a dismal failure, but the entertainment possibilities of the phonograph quickly caught the attention of the general public. As the North American company slowly sank into eventual bankruptcy (in 1894), Class M phonographs were finally offered for outright sale, both for business and home use. However these were extremely expensive machines ($225 when average salaries were around $40 a month), and not many were sold. Today the Class M is one of the most desirable of all antique phonographs.

...and the rest of the pictures. I hope I'm not boring anyone, to me a Class M is just so extraordinary.
$(KGrHqJ,!n0E63WBVicuBO85UNnnIw~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBO85UL3-T!~~60_3.jpg
Attachments
$(KGrHqJHJDoE7zGSB8!QBO85UNl31g~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!jQE6805ie,GBO85UOC1I!~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!n0E63WBU6nUBO85UOW1f!~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqZ,!iwE68oF1J9JBO85ULMfhQ~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqR,!lYE65OIvfE7BO85UOezi!~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!ocE63(l+ueoBO85UK80Uw~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!psE63ZjRLzhBO85UKHu,w~~60_3.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Nice Class M on eBay - more pics

Post by alang »

$(KGrHqN,!p8E63Zwhd,sBO85ULnbUQ~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqR,!p8E63Zwh8TJBO85UKtP)g~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!p8E63Zwg4W(BO85UKwRVg~~60_3.jpg

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Nice Class M on eBay - only $25k

Post by Skihawx »

I'd love to have this machine and I'm not really an Edison phonograph guy!
Condition, provenance, rarity, beauty, it's electrical, early. It has it
all!!

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

This was on display at the Donleys museum in Union Il for years. You can see it is about in the center of the photo under the framed old couple advertisement. The collection is slowly going away....
Attachments
donleys.JPG

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

I have only been to Union twice in my life but still remember how fabulous Larry's Phonograph museum was. It is a shame to think that the collection is slowly beginning to be sold off.
Pete

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Yes this for sure is the M from the Donley collection, having demonstrated machines for them, Larry told me the story behind this, it was found in an old service garage. I am not allowed to tell you any more than that. It is true this machine has never been monkeyed with. The Donley's simply want to retire, Mike and Randy are in there 50s, and they have come to work since they were little kids for over 40 years, almost every day during the season.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

It is interesting that some things are sold thru the good-old-boys eBay id and
some are sold thru Wayne7. I wonder why??? It has been that way a long time.
I bought a phonograph from Wayne7 many years ago and it was from the Donely's

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

I believe Wayne7 is Randy Donley's Ebay ID.

Last April, I met with Larry at Union to pick up an Edison Home that I purchased from him. While I was there Larry asked me if I was interested in making him an offer for that Class M. I told him that I would have to pass on it because my offer would be embarassing to the both of us!

The Class M is complete. The governor speed brush is in the swarf drawer along with it's mounting nut and bolt. Just needs a belt and a good cleaning. Don't know about the motor or reproducer underside. What a nice outfit!

New Owner
Victor O

Post by New Owner »

edisonphonoworks wrote:Larry told me the story behind this, it was found in an old service garage. I am not allowed to tell you any more than that.
Why aren't you allowed to tell anymore? I'm sure all of us are interested in how on Earth it came to be in a service garage.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

New Owner wrote:
edisonphonoworks wrote:Larry told me the story behind this, it was found in an old service garage. I am not allowed to tell you any more than that.
Why aren't you allowed to tell anymore? I'm sure all of us are interested in how on Earth it came to be in a service garage.
Cosa Phono omertà 8-)