Victor III

Featured Phonograph #105

Post by Andersun »

Make: National Phonograph Company
Model: Home Model "A" Suitcase
Serial # H40145
Year(s) Made: 1896-1901
Original Cost: $30.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 16.5"L x 8"W x 11.5"H (with cover not incl. handle)
Turntable/Mandrel: Nickel Plated Grooved Mandrel
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Automatic (late style)
Motor: Single Spring
Reproduction Parts: none.
Current Value: NA
Interesting Facts: This Home left the factory in March 1901. It was the very last style suitcase Home which had the following interesting features:
Highly polished nickel plated grooved mandrel
Highly polished nameplate with serial number stamped into it which replaced the raised boss on upper bedplate.
Late style Automatic reproducer with 1.2 ounce weight (vs. .8 ounce), slanted neck, larger knurled pattern on securing ring going in opposite direction than earlier Automatic reproducers. These features are illustrated in the last two pictures being on the left side.

This machine had a broken spur gear which is a common for the Edison Home. I believe this Home had the gear failure early in it's life because of the fine condition of the machine. I only know of one other example of this style mandrel on an Edison Home. If you know of anyone who has one please let me know.

Sources: George Paul, Steven Medved, Roger Shingler, Edison Cylinder Phonographs 1877-1929 Sefl/Frow authors.
Attachments
HomeA6.jpg
HomeA0.jpg
HomeA1.jpg
HomeA3.jpg
HomeA2.jpg
HomeA4.jpg
HomeA5.jpg
HomeA7.jpg
HomeA8.jpg

jboger
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph #105

Post by jboger »

Beautiful machine and in gorgeous condition, the way you like to find them. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

That's just beautiful. Stunningly good condition. Thanks for adding to the Featured Phonos!

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Thanks for sharing that with us! What a nice machine!

Love the clear pinstripes and the unique mandrel.

Bob S.

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Post by Le0 »

I had never seen a mandrel like this before. thanks for showing this very interesting and flawless machine.
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Le0 wrote:I had never seen a mandrel like this before. thanks for showing this very interesting and flawless machine.
It rode in the back seat of my car for a day before I realized it had a different mandrel. I didn't realize the reproducer was different until I got it home a few days later.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Awesome machine in perfect condition.

Thanks for sharing.
Andreas

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

Andersun,
What a superb machine!.
I have been collecting phonographs for over forty years and have never before seen a grooved mandrel on a Home.
I have Standards of the same period with the same grooved mandrel, but was not aware that other models shared the same design.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

clevelander wrote:Andersun,
What a superb machine!.
I have been collecting phonographs for over forty years and have never before seen a grooved mandrel on a Home.
I have Standards of the same period with the same grooved mandrel, but was not aware that other models shared the same design.
Alestair:
You were the one who raised my awareness of the grooved mandrel last year. The only other Home I've noted with that type mandrel was number 41613. (I wonder how many grooved mandrels I'd seen without it registering?)

Steve:
That's an awesome example of the late Suitcase Home. Thank you for sharing it with us!

- Martin

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

Beautiful machine Steve,

Very nice addition to your great collection...

Congrats!!

Joe