Crystola Pics

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonc250
Victor O
Personal Text: John McCormick Forever, Cal Stewart Never!!

Crystola Pics

Post by edisonc250 »

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Crystola Pics

Post by phonophan79 »

Nice!

So how does it sound?

edisonc250
Victor O

Post by edisonc250 »

Not bad at all!/..I will post soon on my youtube...i have some cleaning etc to do on it..i also got 50 records..!!..1910-1930!!! all for 125.00$!!!....any comments on the needle bar position??? Mica side down twrds record

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

That is nothing like my Crystola! The reproducer is totally different from mine and any other Crystola I have ever seen, which have typical generic-style swiveling reproducers. Also, what is up with the horn? Others I've seen have flat, trapezoidal beveled-glass mirrors joined together with lead came. I'm not comprehending what I'm seeing in your photos looking into the horn compartment, or, the photo with a hand in some sort of transparent cone --- ????

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That is much MUCH nicer than I expected from the ad pictures. You did very well!

edisonc250
Victor O

Post by edisonc250 »

LOL!!!..the hand pic is looking down into the horn (motor board removed)it is made of heavy VERY thick glass maybe 1 inch thick...it is a Model 10..i will try and get better pics..but it plays both Vert and Lat. cut records...sounds very good...

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

WOW! Totally different! I wonder if it is an earlier version? What is the serial number?

John
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

What a great machine! 8-) It appears to be a one piece blown or poured horn? It also looks like it's a floating horn, supported by the spring mechanism visible in the picture with the motor board removed.
The tonearm & soundbox are wild too. Am I right in thinking the stylus faces the front for verticals, and it rotates to the right for laterals?
It must be their early product, and later the bevelled mirrors were introduced, perhaps to cut costs??
$125 well spent I think for such an unusual machine. From what I can see of the cabinet, it doesn't look too bad at all either.
Congratulations!!!

edisonc250
Victor O

Post by edisonc250 »

Yes..it appears to be a solid molded piece of heavy glass..I cant find a seam so far. The spring that you noticed is actually part of the lid, it is spring controlled. which is also a neat aspect..it also has a unique auto stop which I will post as well...any help with this machine would be appreciated..

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Yes, very nice! I'm glad to see the tonearm wasn't broken after all. That's the kind of machine I'd love to find one day in the wild!

Excellent!!! :)

Sean