victrola VV-230 (art model with bowed sides) at auction...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: victrola VV-230 (art model with bowed sides) at auction...

Post by brianu »

JohnM wrote:Really? OK!

Then is, say, a VV-130 considered an art model?

John M
I know, when I think of art model I usually just think of those period models, but I believe the broad category of art model included the period models as well as the 130, 230, 330, XVII and XVIII. again, I could be wrong. I'm going to have to find the passage in the book that I'm thinking of.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

SonnyPhono wrote:Either way, what was the winning bid?
oh, right... well I was hoping to get at least a few replies in terms of what people might have paid for it. no matter.

it sold for about 650 (when you factor in the hammer price as well as the auction house commission and sales tax).

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Wow! Seems odd to have a lowboy go for that amount at an auction. If he has that kind of money to spend on a VV-230 that needs some work, tell him there is a great deal going on Ebay right now. A fresh needle for only one dollar. :D

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

brianu wrote:
Brad wrote:Brian,

Hmm, hard to say what it did go for. I don't much care for low-boys, so I wouldn't pay much (sub $50 regardless of model), however, it appears that machines fetch a pretty high price in your neck of the woods. e.g. http://southjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1313825041.html
holy crap... I check craigslist pretty regularly even though I haven't been in much of a buying mode for quite some time now... and I hadn't noticed that one... honestly though, $6500 for a standard upright VV-X in mahogany? I can't say that typifies my area... if anything, I'd maybe expect more of such price inflation from your northern end of the state where most everything is overblown... i.e. "real" housewives of NJ... ha...

hope all is well brad.

brian
Sorry to bump this thread, but this one has them all beat. Makes me sorry I gave my XIV to my brother inlaw as a house warming gift:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/1340637538.html
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Hmph...only $18K?

I've got a really nice clean mahogany XIV complete with a full set of albums all cleaned and collection ready I'd let go for a little less than that! ;)

Sean

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

According the Baumbach's LFTD (fourth edition) the VV-230 was the most expensive standard machine VTMCo offered in '22.

IIRC Victor reserved the term "art" for their Vernis-Martin cases and other custom Victrolas. The company also offered Period Models from 1917 to 1925. Brian what book were you thinking of?

The VV-230 is a lovely machine, but as a rule the consoles don't seem as popular today as the uprights generally. They do take up so much floor space! ;)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Ah but sometimes I think a console is worth a little extra space. I showed this picture a while back but thought it was applicable here so... one more time...

Steve

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Neophone wrote: The VV-230 is a lovely machine, but as a rule the consoles don't seem as popular today as the uprights generally. They do take up so much floor space! ;)
I think that when people buy a Victrola these days they want it to LOOK like a Victrola, not like a tasteful cabinet that no one would suspect.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

schweg wrote:Ah but sometimes I think a console is worth a little extra space. I showed this picture a while back but thought it was applicable here so... one more time...

Steve

Steve,

Wonderful photo-the only problem I have is once I start putting things on top of a machine I'm less likely to play it. Here's my Granada-I'm not going to show you a photo of my VV-210! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Regards,
John
Attachments
Granada-15.jpg
Granada-15.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Ha! You are right on that one John. Many of the floor models I own serve mainly as Victables for another phonograph on top.... But I've got cra... uh I mean valuable collectables everywhere so there's no alternative, except to get rid of some of my machines.... Did I just say that??