Polly ~ Zez Confrey and His Orchestra

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

Polly ~ Zez Confrey and His Orchestra

Post by bart1927 »

I already had this song on a worn HMV disk, but recently acquired it on Victor in a much better condition. It is credited to Zez Confrey and His Orchestra, but the strange thing is that according to Brian Rust Zez Confrey wasn´t even present during this recording. In fact, the last recording by Zez Confrey and His Orchestra where he was actually present was made in November 1924. After that there is a 2.5 year gap, after which a formation under the direction of Nat Shilkret started recording some novelty numbers using the Zez Confrey name. In fact, the first title they recorded was the Zez Confrey classic "Kitten On The Keys". For this particular recording session Nat turned both the piano and the direction over to his brother Jack Shilkret.

Zez Confrey and His Orchestra play "Polly", on Victor 21010-A, recorded August 25, 1927 in New York.

Neophone
Victor III

Re: Polly ~ Zez Confrey and His Orchestra

Post by Neophone »

Bart,

That's very interesting, Thanks for the info!!! This is a fun one I really get a kick out if it. It reminds me of Nola.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!