Post by B.B.B »

Consider the listing fee :shock:
Searching for The Sound

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Very expensive records (lol)

Post by WDC »

B.B.B wrote:Consider the listing fee :shock:
This is often considered to be very high. Actually eBay makes its money with the lower prices insertion fees (beside the high selling percentages, Paypal and so on).
According to their current fees, the seller paid $4.35 for listing this $43k auction, including 35ct. for the gallery picture option. That's it. eBay's fee structure makes it very easy and affordable to come by with crazy prices.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

WDC wrote:eBay's fee structure makes it very easy and affordable to come by with crazy prices.
Of course, if the seller manages to sell something at a crazy price, eBay gets a very nice percentage of it. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

WDC wrote:
B.B.B wrote:Consider the listing fee :shock:
This is often considered to be very high. Actually eBay makes its money with the lower prices insertion fees (beside the high selling percentages, Paypal and so on).
According to their current fees, the seller paid $4.35 for listing this $43k auction, including 35ct. for the gallery picture option. That's it. eBay's fee structure makes it very easy and affordable to come by with crazy prices.
I had no idea, thanks for cerrecting me!

Wow, a whole new area of business opens up for me now with this knowledge, instead of listing LPs for 9.99, I can list them for a $1000 a pop. Forbes, here I come :mrgreen:
Searching for The Sound

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

At $1,000 per record, even those of us with modest collections could quickly become millionaires, and those with massive collections would be in a position to join the ranks of the richest people in the world.

:squirrel:

Rocky

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I've emailed the sellers and am sure you'll all be thrilled to learn that they're not at all unreasonable, are open to best offers and would consider something in the $20k range.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

brianu wrote:I've emailed the sellers and am sure you'll all be thrilled to learn that they're not at all unreasonable, are open to best offers and would consider something in the $20k range.
Please tell me you're kidding.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

bbphonoguy wrote:
brianu wrote:I've emailed the sellers and am sure you'll all be thrilled to learn that they're not at all unreasonable, are open to best offers and would consider something in the $20k range.
no joke. seriously.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I suspect they'd back up their valuations with statements like "Genuine" or "Authentic" and "Nearly 100 years old"

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

brianu wrote:
bbphonoguy wrote:
no joke. seriously.
It's hard to control the urge to laugh out loud, but I'll try. :lol:

I think I'll contact them and offer my entire record collection to them for $10,000. I have 1200 records, so by their estimations they should be able to make $1,190,000.00 profit! Who could possibly pass that up?

Maybe we could create a "record bubble" much like the housing bubble.