"The Encore" Phonograph Repeater

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

"The Encore" Phonograph Repeater

Post by SonnyPhono »

I won this with an absentee bid at auction about a week ago and had some requests to share it with everyone when I received it. I made a very quick video demonstrating it, but was in a hurry and will make another soon. This was the first try and it needs some tweaking. I played it on a Pathé 50 that I picked up a couple days ago. I haven't worked on the phonograph at all. The reproducer is in horrible shape so the sound is very bad. The lighting is poor as well so as soon as I get a chance I will post a quality video with ample light, a better phono and maybe a better selection of music! :D

But for now, just wanted to share as I thought it was pretty interesting. I do have one question though. If this plays a record continuously and is started on a full crank, wouldn't it be bad for the record due to the "one play per needle" rule? With a full crank a strong phonograph may play a selection several time when utilizing this repeater. Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AqGms4OhRI[/youtube]

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: "The Encore" Phonograph Repeater

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's a really nice quality repeater! Original box & all. Great score.

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thank you very much. I thought it was interesting and is all original. Any guess on rarity or value?

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Thanks for showing it!

Very neat idea, but like you wrote, this couldn't be very friendly to the disc if done on a 4-spring motor machine. Maybe its best combined with a Tungs-Tone needle.

As for rarity, I'm a compleat layman here, but it's the first one I have ever seen & I scan the net almost every day, looking out for machines, records & stuff related to them.
Searching for The Sound

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Yea, I am in the same boat, searching daily for new phonograph items and haven't come across anything like this yet. I thought maybe I had overpaid, but the more I think about it the happier I am with the purchase. It sounds like they aren't too common so maybe the $80.00 was well worth it! :)

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

$80-100 is about right for one of these with it's box and instructions. They're very cool. I have a few different repeaters in my collection but not one of these. I kick myself (sort of) for passing on one of these for $50 about four years ago. They aren't very nice on records, none of them really are. I never use any of mine, but I do like displaying them with my machines.

BBB - NO! If you used a Tungstone with one of these, the point would likely bend or break off on the first or second repeat. I guess that's OK if you like throwing out a Tungstone stylus after a coupla plays! :D

Thanks for sharing this!

Sean

Post by Guest »

Good info. You have some different repeaters huh? I have to be careful as it seems that there are a lot of ways to spend money on phonographs and I am finding it easier to do so every day. :D

I found it interesting how loud the actual repeater mechanism is. With the lid shut it would quite it down a lot but with the lid open, it's borderline obnoxious. I didn't know there were different repeaters produced back then and now I will keep a look out to add more to my collection.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'd suspect it would be a little quieter with a new rubber wheel?

Heres a link to few different repeaters on Carsten's website.

http://www.myvintagetv.com/updates2/Rep ... eaters.htm

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Actually, I was surprised with the condition of the rubber. It grips nicely and has some softness to it. The noise isn't from the rubber wheel. It is actually caused from the spinning shaft as it spins inside the small tab holding it. I was a little surprised at the fact that with such a interesting design, the people who made this repeater didn't design it with some sort of grommet or rubber dampener to lessen the noise.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

All the repeaters are pretty rough on the soundbox if you ask me: this one is not too bad but the Greer is brutal : BANG and the tone arm is thrown back to the beginning. :) I always think that the time and effort one spends fussing in order to tune an Exhibition of Victrola No 2 would be wasted after one session with a repeater.
Jim