Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
StL Bill
Victor I

Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Post by StL Bill »

MODEL:Edison Diamond Disc A-425 Louis XV Circassion Walnut
SERIAL #: SM2697
YEARS MADE: Late 1912-Feb, 1915 (62 were sold up to Feb, 1915)
COST: $425
CASE/CABINET SIZE:51" High, 21" Wide, 23" Deep
TURNTABLE: 12"
REPRODUCER: Edison Standard Disc
MOTOR: Early Double Spring
HORN DIMENSIONS: Grain Painted Metal 17"x12"
REPRODUCTION PARTS: All original except for the lattice part of the grille. The carved frame is original (See Below)
CURRENT VALUE: Not sure. A poorly refinished A-400 recently sold at auction for $8800.00
INTERESTING FACTS:This model is the Circassian Walnut version of the A-375 model, of which there were 124 sold by Feb, 1915.

I think that all of us as collectors have dreamed of walking into an antique store, estate sale, or yard sale and stumbling onto that one rare machine that you never thought that you would ever find. I know that this has happened to several TMF members because they have posted the great finds that they have. This happened to me several months ago. An antique dealer friend of mine called and told me about an upright phonograph that he had just seen at a garage sale.He did not pay much attention to it, other to tell me that it was very dirty. You can imagine my excitement when I walked in there and saw this A-425. It was indeed very dirty and the finish was a little dried out, but under all that dirt was a solid machine. All that I have done to the cabinet is give it a very good cleaning.The only thing that was missing was the lattice grille. Luckily the carved grille frame was still there.My woodworker/ restorer duplicated the lattice perfectly in a vacuum press with Circassion Walnut veneer on a precise wooden form that he fabricated to match the frame. The pattern for the lattice was supplied from a kind fellow collector from his A-375.
According to the Frow book, there were only 62 of these made. I am curious as to how many have survived. If any Forum members know of one, I would love to hear. I must thank Brice Paris, Jerry Blais, and Dan Melvin for their help with the dimensions and pattern for the lattice grille, there are certainly many kind people in our hobby.
DSC00328.JPG
DSC00347.JPG
DSC00340.JPG
DSC00348.JPG
DSC00326.JPG
DSC00333.JPG
DSC00339.JPG
DSC00349.JPG
DSC00322.JPG
DSC00335.JPG

StL Bill
Victor I

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Post by StL Bill »

Some more pics.
DSC03565.JPG
DSC00343.JPG
DSC00342.JPG
DSC00358.JPG

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

That's a real beauty, Bill. I've always admired this model Edison DD phonograph. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story! While it's not a big detraction I'm surprised to see the bedplate paint wear. It almost appears that someone left a wet cloth on that one area for a prolonged period. A good restorer could get that bedplate right up to snuff for you if you desire to do so.

Doug

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

I was told by the people that I bought it from that it was in a storage locker full of antiques that they inherited from a relative who was an antique dealer many years ago. They had many antique lamps and glassware at this sale. I think that the many years in the storage locker with the extreme temperature changes took its toll on both the paint on the bedplate and the finish of the cabinet, which while still original, has alligatored very much. I am debating on whether to have the bedplate repainted. Does anyone know who is the best when it comes to these Edison Maroon bedplates?

Bill

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think that's the nicest looking Diamond Disc machine I've ever seen. It's spectacular! Jerry B.

mcgravy
Victor O

Post by mcgravy »

What a gorgeous machine and what a way to find it! Thanks for sharing. Great job on the grille btw.

Victrolaboy
Victor III

Post by Victrolaboy »

Wow what a beautiful machine! I've always wanted one. :)
Nick Hoffmann

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Now that is a machine that would change my mind about owning a DD player. Fantastic story of how you found it. My favorite expression is....you never know . ;).

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Stunning machine and a great story. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy! :)

Best,
George

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations on a great find and a stunning machine. I absolutely love the wood grain on this. Tough decision regarding the bedplate, repaint or leave original? Anyway, it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Andreas