Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Post by gramophone78 »

I would have to think it is one and the same machine. Wood grain is like a fingerprint. You can see the grain match is 100% in the area I marked.
Now that is so cool.
sc0035232b.jpg

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Well this is pretty amazing. I aways wondered what happened to it. Another person I never knew till we became neighbors in St. Louis had purchased a ornate Brunswick I had also sold around that time.. Funny how we run into others that are attracted to the same things as collectors.

Larry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd do back flips for one of those ho hum mahogany examples. Jerry

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Jerry B. wrote:I'd do back flips for one of those ho hum mahogany examples. Jerry
Could you post yourself doing that Jerry on YouTube. I think I would pay money to watch that... :lol: :lol: ;).

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

That machine is a real stunner!

I do know that a very clean and complete example turned up in Portsmouth, England in the 1960's. There was a pretty detailed article about the machine is. The Hillandale News at the time. As I recall the records found win it were all very early. I suspect that it was a furnishing in the salon of some ship or other and was sold off when it became obsolete.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Could you post yourself doing that Jerry on YouTube. I think I would pay money to watch that... :lol: :lol: ;).
I can do pretty decent flip turns in the pool. Would that count? :o

Jerry

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Now THAT is a phonograph!
- I notice that the serial number on the tag and on the bed plate do not match. While virtually all of them do match on the A-250s I've seen unaltered A-290s & A-300 where they do not match. Given how you found yours, it makes me more comfortable that the others I've mentioned are also unaltered.
- There should be a date on the lower left corner of the paper tag inside the back door. Can you see what that date is?

Congrats on a once in a lifetime find!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Very nice Bill you're very fortunate to own this, congratulations!
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Just stunning!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

Valecnik wrote:Now THAT is a phonograph!
- I notice that the serial number on the tag and on the bed plate do not match. While virtually all of them do match on the A-250s I've seen unaltered A-290s & A-300 where they do not match. Given how you found yours, it makes me more comfortable that the others I've mentioned are also unaltered.
- There should be a date on the lower left corner of the paper tag inside the back door. Can you see what that date is?

Congrats on a once in a lifetime find!
If you double click the picture of the bedplate with the serial no. stamped into it, the picture will enlarge greatly. I believe that the same serial is stamped into the bedplate, it is just that the number 6 and number 9 stamp did not go deep enough into the metal.
As far as the date on the paper tag, the lower setion of the tag is so stained that I am unable to read it, even with magnification.