This has to be a joke...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: This has to be a joke...

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Brian,

You make a valid point. The 100-year-old stereo was hilarious! Ditto for the $70,000 phonograph with the image of Jesus engrained in the wood. And the 43 records for $1,000 apiece. There is no reason why we shouldn't take the time to have a good laugh while learning about phonographs and music.

:squirrel: :lol: :lol: :squirrel:

Rocky

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

EdisonSquirrel wrote:Brian,

You make a valid point. The 100-year-old stereo was hilarious! Ditto for the $70,000 phonograph with the image of Jesus engrained in the wood. And the 43 records for $1,000 apiece. There is no reason why we shouldn't take the time to have a good laugh while learning about phonographs and music.

:squirrel: :lol: :lol: :squirrel:

Rocky
I completely agree. This thread shouldn't be locked, maybe just a little cleaned up. I didn't think any of those posts were offensive (maybe those about pompous asses and that "get a life" post). Unless someone really wants to be offended, and starts reading between the lines a little too much. Let's face it, I don't believe for one minute this record guy really believes his set of albums is worth $ 43,000. A simple search on that same Ebay would have shown him what a reasonable opening bid should be. He just hopes someone out there does believe these records are worth that kind of money. I even e-mailed him to tell him what his records are really worth, and he didn't even respond (what a surprise). I don't think any lines are crossed if we make at least some innocent fun about these characters. I mean, we weren't rude or abusive, were we? And it even serves educational purposes. When we post about outrageously priced records, Frankenphones, Crap-o-Phones, etc, novices on the subject can learn about record values and what to look for if you want to buy a phonograph.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

By using the term "ignorant", I meant that someone is uninformed. Someone may choose to see it as an insult, but it is a legitimate use of the word. I was going to say I didn't mean to create a ruckus, but I didn't create the ruckus. I just made a statement that a few people managed to read more into than I intended. But if it will help to apologize, then I apologize, sincerely.

My concern about the ignorance (that word again)of today's students is not misplaced. I work in the public school system, and what concerns me is.....

Children know more about math today than when I was in school, but it seems that history, geography, literature and art are not what they used to be. High schoolers in my district are learning what I already knew of these in 6th grade. If I approach a teacher about a glaring error in a student's paper (a 7th grader had placed the Erie Canal in Ohio)my concerns are met with a shrug of the shoulders, as if screwing up a child's education with facts is somehow too much to ask. I could go on but don't have the time right now.

Anyway, I am not making this post to attack or provoke or insult, just to explain my concerns. If you wish to comment to me further on the subject I will be glad to converse via private messaging or even the telephone if you wish, and I apologize again.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

For the time being I am leaving this thread up without any editing, however from this point on the only posts allowed to stand in this thread will be those related to the original topic. Thank you.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Now that Neophone has said that, I'm going to follow his advice and listen to the Victrola for 15 minutes today (using each needle only once). ;)

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

bbphonoguy wrote:Now that Neophone has said that, I'm going to follow his advice and listen to the Victrola for 15 minutes today (using each needle only once). ;)

ATTA BOY!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :clover:

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I did it today, too! I listened to the Victrola for well over fifteen minutes. As I'm hesitant to play my good records with a steel needle, I listened to common Victor records, mostly acoustic Whiteman fox-trots.

I can't help but wonder if the generations who listened to the Victrola with the doors open and using loud tone needles suffered hearing damage.

:squirrel:

Rocky

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

EdisonSquirrel wrote:I can't help but wonder if the generations who listened to the Victrola with the doors open and using loud tone needles suffered hearing damage.

Rocky
What??? ;)
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Brad wrote:
EdisonSquirrel wrote:I can't help but wonder if the generations who listened to the Victrola with the doors open and using loud tone needles suffered hearing damage.

Rocky
What??? ;)
LMAO!!!!!! You beat me to the punch brad! :D :D :D :D :D

Regards,
John

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I use medium tone needles, and sometimes I have to leave the room on account of the loud volume. I wish that my Edison phonographs were as loud as a Victrola. I'm not ready to spend a fortune to get an Edisonic reproducer.

Rocky