NEW Design - Cheap Bluetooth Speaker for phonographs

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

NEW Design - Cheap Bluetooth Speaker for phonographs

Post by Curt A »

Here is a Bluetooth setup that I made for my Victrola XX. Probably the only Victrola in the world with an Edison bluetooth adapter...

This was made using an Edison cylinder box and a CANZ bluetooth speaker... for $25. It will work on any Victor machine or any other with a removable reproducer similar to Victor or it could be adapted to others. Play any music from your phone, tablet or computer through your Victor machine...

http://www.amazon.com/808-CANZ-Bluetoot ... B00EFS120A
Attachments
Edison Bluetooth_a.jpg
Edison Bluetooth_2a.jpg
Edison Bluetooth_3a.JPG
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: NEW Design - Cheap Bluetooth Speaker for phonographs

Post by Phonofreak »

Wow, That's the ultimate most modern upgrade that I have seen!! :P :P
Harvey Kravitz

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I really enjoy playing 1920's jazz on my Victrola 8-12, but I have been having difficulty obtaining quality records for my collection. Frequently I have been out bid on Ebay and in my growing frustration, I remembered this post and decided to give it a try. I purchased the Canz speaker on Ebay for around $18. I was surprised that such a small speaker could produce pretty decent sound. I experimented with my own design for an adapter and found that it sounded much better.
Last edited by audiophile102 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It is not the first one we see... It seems every collector has felt this need! Other member of this forum made something similar for use at friends gatherings, to avoid continuous changing of records and needles. So you can have continuous ambient dance music of 78s through a Gramophone horn during dinner... I'm thinking of assembling the device and choosing any programme as Radio Dismuke, for instance... Very nice to use an Edison cylinder box!
Inigo

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

Inigo wrote:It is not the first one we see... It seems every collector has felt this need! Other member of this forum made something similar for use at friends gatherings, to avoid continuous changing of records and needles. So you can have continuous ambient dance music of 78s through a Gramophone horn during dinner... I'm thinking of assembling the device and choosing any programme as Radio Dismuke, for instance... Very nice to use an Edison cylinder box!
I thought that the Edison box was a great idea also until I tried it. I ended up making one out of a sheet of aluminum which worked much better. Check out my evaluation video. I tried to embed the video on the post, but it wouldn't work.
Last edited by audiophile102 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

I spent more time refining the design of the adapter. I found a rubber sleeve in my tool room that fit perfectly around the speaker and into my aluminum horn. The sleeve is a plumbing part with a hose clamp. It functions perfectly, but looked terrible so I covered it and the horn with images printed on regular paper. It still looks like something cobbled together, but I'm still happy with the design results. The video is made with a tiny Canon Powershot camera so it's not HD or sound all that great, but I can assure you it sounds pretty good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cCkz8Z764[/youtube]

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Just seen this thread and thought maybe people would be interested to see the one I built. I used a MP3 module linked to an Arduino in a 3D printed case. I also made it IR controlled with an old remote control

I did a video showing the design and build of it - and also what it sounds like in use :D

https://youtu.be/NJS8z8odj4c

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

mrrgstuff wrote:Just seen this thread and thought maybe people would be interested to see the one I built. I used a MP3 module linked to an Arduino in a 3D printed case. I also made it IR controlled with an old remote control

I did a video showing the design and build of it - and also what it sounds like in use :D

https://youtu.be/NJS8z8odj4c
Yours works great, but you apparently have more time on your hands than I did when I built mine. I was going for simple, easy to build with a pre-made component, good sound, rechargeable, bluetooth, remote controlled by my phone, cheap, cosmetically pleasing with a simple disguise and a 10 minute build time... :lol: Thanks for the video...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Curt A wrote: Yours works great, but you apparently have more time on your hands than I did when I built mine. I was going for simple, easy to build with a pre-made component, good sound, rechargeable, bluetooth, remote controlled by my phone, cheap, cosmetically pleasing with a simple disguise and a 10 minute build time... :lol: Thanks for the video...
Thanks :D Yes indeed - mine is not the simplest solution - it was more of a project I wanted to do - based around an existing MP3 module I had - though I did end up buying a few more and some more Arduinos also - so it wasn't quite as cheap as I intended it to be either! ;)

I do like your Edison cylinder case version (and you have it fitted to a very nice machine also) :D