What Edison Console is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

What Edison Console is this?

Post by larryh »

I tired to link this but couldn't get it to work. There is a console Edison I can't find the book, is something odd about this machine or what is it?

eBay Item #220475829476

Larry
Last edited by MordEth on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed eBay link

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: What Edison Console is this?

Post by Valecnik »

Appears to be a "georgeous" William and Mary. Someone has replaced the grill but done a pretty good job at it.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Actually, the William and Mary (upright and console) are distinct for having that X-bottom.

(image lovingly borrowed from http://www.misterphonograph.com :D )

I can't seem to think offhand what model it would be though. It looks like when they re-did this machine, they wiped out the Edison logo that would appear over the turntable.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

You're right Phonophan79. The WMC should have the "x bottom". (it appears you have a very nice one btw.

Everything else in this case points to this being a WMC but I cannot explain the legs either. They look like they are from a long play.

Best would be to ask the seller what the SN tag says. That would help alot.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

phonophan79,

Thanks for sharing that photo of Matt’s—not only is it a nice image of the machine, but I think that I like his grille cloth better. :D

That’s a very attractive console.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The x-'bottom' is called a stretcher (regardless of shape) in furniture parlance.

The seller does say that the "woodwork was restored". Perhaps that is when liberties were taken with the cabinet.

He really thinks he has something there, doen't he? Ignorant of Diamond Disc machine values, I'd say!

UPDATE: I emailed the seller re: what is stamped into the data plate, and just received a reply. It is a W&M Console, or at least, began life as one.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Thanks for the links and the comments. Yes I thought too it was some version of the william and mary console, of which I have a soft spot for having it been my first edison years ago. But those legs as well as the grill are sure not correct. I thought it was possible that it was an odd attempt at a machine that never got off the ground. I only thought that due to the reasonably good quality of the grill and legs. After studying it again, I now realize that they must have had a machine with broken legs and well as grill that was mostly missing and copied the edges of the design, but when it came to the middle they were at a loss as to how to proceed and came up with those rather thick sections which no victrola used in their grill that I can find.

The legs are also something like the long play, but on a more careful look I see they do resemble them but are not as fine a design with less detail and the shape is pretty much straight down whereas the long plays are taper to various degrees. A lot of trouble for as John said, a not very valuable machine.