Phonographs at the FDR Historic Site WWII Encampment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mikejk
Victor II

Phonographs at the FDR Historic Site WWII Encampment

Post by mikejk »

We brought along some phonographs to the Annual WWII Encampment at the FDR Home National Historic Site for Memorial Day weekend. The 4-7 Ortho had no trouble filling the show area with Miller, Dorsey, and all manner of patriotic songs, with a soft tone needle . The Standard Model A did the job with earlier marches, but had to use loud tone needles. Many of the young people were spellbound while watching.

Thank you to all the veterans of past and present wars and their families.

Mike, Roseann, and Justin Kemp
Attachments
phonopic4.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG

n2wheelies
Victor I

Re: Phonographs at the FDR Historic Site WWII Encampment

Post by n2wheelies »

very cool contribution. Thanks for sharing!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Looked like a great way to spend a nice spring day. You're also an inspiration for the rest of us to share our hobby with the public. Jerry Blais

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Mike,

Great that you're sharing the hobby with others!
Looks like you had a great day!

Gene

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

Thanks for the replies on this.

This is a very good time, the most fun we have all year. Wish I had more photos of the militaria on display, but the phonographs were cranked and played continuously from 10am to 5pm. The military show draws it's own crowd, but besides that there are continuous tours going through for the FDR Home and Library so the phonographs are seen by a large number of people. The reaction to the clear vibrant sound they are hearing makes it all worth while.
Thanks for looking,
Mike

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

You did a great thing, Mike. I've just done something very similar organizing a 100th anniversary commemoration of the Great War and, not without surprise, I got your same feeling that people - rather than being bored by a long program of old music interspersed by my voice - was completely catched and overwhelmed by emotions. Young chaps included.

Personally I strongly encourage any other collector who has the appropriate machines, period records and the right skills as a speaker to organize and do similar things: the reaction of the audience will be *way* better than one might have thought.

Don't want to "hijack" your thread any further - I'll open a new topic as soon as I'll have the pictures taken by the official photographer. ;)

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

Marco,
Thanks for the reply. The interest in the machines was strong during this military show with a lot of interest in the music being played too. The Orthophonic Victrola was a very good machine for this venue. Like I said----lots of fun.
Mike

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I am no expert on FDR, but I recently watched the film "Hyde Park on Hudson" on TV. I have no idea how historically accurate the film was, but it was beautifully photographed and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here are a couple of my portables contributing to a VE Day themed coffee morning in our village church hall. One of the records played included the great bell of St.Paul's Cathedral being rung in memory of FDR.
Attachments
VE 002.JPG

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Your handsome portables (HMVs?) look to be in outstanding condition.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

FloridaClay wrote:Your handsome portables (HMVs?) look to be in outstanding condition.

Clay
HMV102 on the left, Columbia G-208 on the right. This is a rare overseas model and here are some better pictures of it :
Attachments
Columbia G-208 001.JPG
Columbia G-208 002.JPG
Columbia G-208 003.JPG