Edison machine weight

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
A Ford 1
Victor II

Edison machine weight

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi all,
Does any one know the weight of the Edison A 1 and or the Chippendale 250 Diamond Disk machines. I will have to arrange for moving one of each of these from Stanton's to my home now that I am back from vacation.
Thank you all kindly for any input,
Allen

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edison machine weight

Post by fran604g »

Hiya,

A C-250 weighs around 150 lbs.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Crated weight would be much different than the weight of just the machine. Just a word of advice. Be sure to give the crater/shipper specific instructions about handling and packing your machines. I Canadian friend had a 1-A shipped to my house. The mechanism, including the reproducer, was still in the cabinet and it was placed laying down on a pallet. The mechanism shifted resulting in damage. Also, it was full of cylinders. Be cautious. You get what you pay for. Jerry Blais

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi Jerry B,
I have had grand pianos shipped in the past by home moving firms with out problem . I think you mean specify to send in the vertical position with a fragile notice. Please indicate what in specific you think the instructions should be if they are different. Any input from all would be desirable.
Thank you all for your help,
Allen

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

The A-1 is a heavy heavy machine. I would recommend shipping the mechanism separately.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi Jerry B,
I have had grand pianos shipped in the past by home moving firms with out problem . I think you mean specify to send in the vertical position with a fragile notice. Please indicate what in specific you think the instructions should be if they are different. Any input from all would be desirable.
Thank you all for your help,
Allen
The major point is that the motor on the 1A is not anchored to the cabinet, so if you tilt the cabinet horizontally, you will cause damage. Search the board and you will find detailed packing instructions for a 1A.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

The mechanism needs to be removed and shipped separately on the Amberola 1A, 1B, or A series Diamond Discs. If you don't you will almost surely have a loose works bouncing around inside for the whole trip causing big damage. Removal is not too difficult on any of them but if you need help several her, me included, could advise further.