Featured Phonograph № 118 – Mahogany Monarch Special

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Featured Phonograph № 118 – Mahogany Monarch Special

Post by Zwebie »

Make: Victor
Model: Monarch Special (Mahogany)
Serial #: 200
Year(s) Made: 1902
Original Cost: ????? – ($45.oo for the Oak version)
Case/Cabinet Size: 12.75” x 12.75” x 7”
Turntable/Mandrel: 10” (Cast Iron)
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Concert (Long Throat)
Motor: 3 spring (bevel drive)
Horn Dimensions: 19.5” x 11.25” (All Brass)
Reproduction Parts: Leather elbow, rubber feet, horn support tubing
Current Value: ?????

Interesting Facts: This machine would have had to have been "special ordered", as Victor only made their cataloged phonographs in oak in 1902. This machine has a “mahoganized” oak tone arm. It is believed to be one, of only two known, and carries the incredibly low Serial #200.

Cheers, Bob S.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh8URSRxygI[/youtubehd]
Attachments
M1.JPG
M2.JPG
M3.JPG
M4.JPG
M5.jpg
M6.jpg
M7.jpg
M8.jpg
M9.JPG
Last edited by Zwebie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph № 118 – Mahogany Monarch Special

Post by alang »

That is one beautiful rare machine. The Monarch Special is one of my favorite Victor machines. One day I plan to own one as well. Yours is not only rare and very early, but also in stunning condition. Paople must have treasured it and taken good care of it. Thank you very much for sharing!
Andreas

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Beautiful machine Bob! The MS is among my favorite machines too.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Gorgeous machine and beautiful pictures! It handles that electric recording ("I'll See You In My Dreams")very nicely! Thanks very much for posting this!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Really quite wonderful. The pictures are very good. Thanks for posting.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Bob,
Fabulous machine, Monarch Special's are among the best and of course the mahogany
is so rare and extra special.
We admire your photos and display. By the way, the horn looks fantastic.

All the best,
David & Lerria

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

I was looking for one like this a couple years ago. A front mount MS with the all brass horn. I thought they were all oak. I had no idea there were a few in mahogany. I just ended up settling for a nice original MS with a B&B horn.

Very nice and rare machine Bob. I'd be proud to show that off too. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mike

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Stunning!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

daverob
Victor I

Post by daverob »

It is beautiful and amazing.

Curiously, the European HMV or gramophone and typewriter co produced a number of "Monarch special"-like models. I have several of both the us and European cases, and a major difference I have seen is that (American) victor d and ms columns have vertical ribbing, unlike the columns on tbe victor IV. (European machines are either depending on the model...)

I know that it might possibly causing trouble, but I recall seeing this or a similar one on an Internet antique store for an exorbitant price, and I thought, hmmmm.

Any comments?

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

daverob: Curiously, the European HMV or gramophone and typewriter co produced a number of "Monarch special"-like models. I have several of both the us and European cases, and a major difference I have seen is that (American) victor d and ms columns have vertical ribbing, unlike the columns on tbe victor IV. (European machines are either depending on the model...)

I know that it might possibly causing trouble, but I recall seeing this or a similar one on an Internet antique store for an exorbitant price, and I thought, hmmmm.

Any comments?
Before purchasing this machine at Union a couple of years ago, I had it checked out by Bob Baumbach, Domenic DiBernado, and Roger Merenkov. They all confirmed that it's the "Real Deal". I purchased this machine from Lynn Bilton who had found it in southern Illinois. This machine has also been verified by Tim Fabrizio and George Paul, and is displayed on page 15 of "A World of Antique Phonographs". (Also, I believe that the cabinet dimensions on the European version were smaller?).

The restoration of this machine has been a totally corroborative effort, and I have many members of the Forum to thank: George Paul, Bob Baumbach, Domenic DiBernardo, and Roger Merenkov, for their “expertise”. Shawn O’Rourke for an “excellent correct original” Speed Control. Harvey Kravitz for an “excellent original” Escutcheon. V.J. Seth for an “excellent original” Concert Reproducer, Support Arm, and Tone Arm Hardware. Ron Haring for an “excellent original” Record Clamp. And David Rosamond for the “excellent All Brass” Horn. (If I missed anyone, I am truly sorry!). I swapped out the Turntable and Crank with “excellent originals” from another of my machines.

I have included a picture of the machine "as purchased" at Union:
Attachments
Mahogany MS Before.jpg