Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 39

Post by phonophan79 »

Make: THOMAS A. EDISON, INC.
Model: P-1 PORTABLE - Needle Type
Serial # N/A
Year(s) Made: July-October 1929 (six years after Victor inaugurated the portable craze)
Original Cost: $35
Case/Cabinet Size: 17" ¾ x 13" ¾ x 7" ¾
Turntable/Mandrel: 10"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Considering that Thomas Edison railed against "needle machines" for over 25 years, it is surprising to see his name and trademarked signature on a reproducer fitted with a conventional steel needle.
Motor: single spring
Horn Dimensions: 10" x 3"
Reproduction Parts: N/A
Interesting Facts: This modest machine marked the end of an era -- the last Edison phonograph, made 51 years after Edison had sold his first phonograph to the public in early 1878. It was his son Charles who pushed Edison to make this needle type portable, but by the time he finally decided to jump on the bandwagon, it had passed him by.

Favorite Characteristics: It is a reasonably well-made machine, complete with gold-plated metalwork. Doesn't sound too bad... and of course I love it because it's an Edison. ;)

Well, I bought this at the Wayne MME today, so when I got home I just had to showcase it as a Featured Phonograph. :-p This brings my "Edison Rarities" collection up to: 1) Edisonic 2) Long-Play 3) Army/Navy 4) Belt-Driven 5) Needle-Type - Hooray! Enjoy the pics, video soon to come.

Neophone
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 39

Post by Neophone »

D..,

Congratulations! On a great acquisition. I've always wanted an Edison needle-type portable myself. How's it sound? Have you opened it up yet? ;) I'd be curious to see the horn.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

If my memory doesn't fail me it was built by Prime Mfg. of Milwaukee and was sold with variations of color and trim to clients like Sears Roebuck under the "Silvertone" name. This is not an attempt to run it down- it's a very nice machine with a large tin horn that wraps around the inside of the motor compartment. If the reproducer is in good shape these can really put out an impressive amount of sound. It was intended to be a higher end machine similar to the Orthophonic portables.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

You're right, it wasn't manufactured in Edison's labs/factories... but it's still a decent sounding machine. :-) I will make a video soon.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Phonophan79. Great purchase. Looks like the Wayne show was well worthwhile for you! You've added to your collection of pretty rare late Edison machines. I will be looking forward to seeing/hearing it on youTube.

Operafan
Victor Jr

Post by Operafan »

I have one of these (also the slightly smaller P2), it is a very nice machine. According to Frow, the P-1 and P-2 were made to Edison designs, and were briefly preceded by an Edison rebranded version of a Prime Manufacturing Company designed generic machine. The reproducer on mine was pot metal and had several chips on the neck, but works fine with a new rubber tube insert to connect it to the arm (Frow says "usually found in pot metal... a rubber sleeve connector to the tone arm"). But since I don't have any other Edison disc player, I decided to use it to play Diamond Discs with an attachment I got on eBay, a swivelling reproducer with two needle holders, one for steel when playing lateral discs and one for Edison or Pathé stylii. It sounds pretty good. (I also tried a Cheney vertical reproducer, it had less volume and might need a rebuild, or maybe the gutta-percha diaphragm has aged. The Cheney plays with the diaphragm at 90 degrees to the reocrd, like a Pathé reproducer, the generic one I am using on the P1 rides with the diaphragm parallel to the disc surface like a Diamond DIsc reproducer).

Jeff

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Operafan wrote:According to Frow, the P-1 and P-2 were made to Edison designs, and were briefly preceded by an Edison rebranded version of a Prime Manufacturing Company designed generic machine.

Since I don't have any other Edison disc player, I decided to use it to play Diamond Discs with an attachment I got on eBay, a swivelling reproducer with two needle holders, one for steel when playing lateral discs and one for Edison or Pathé stylii. It sounds pretty good.

Jeff
Very neat! Truly an Edison portable for DD's. :-) Thanks for the info.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

nice. I think I saw that machine there myself... glad that it found it's way to you.

I was curious about the sound, though, so I'm looking forward to the youtube clips as well.

Operafan
Victor Jr

Post by Operafan »

One thing your machine looks to have that mine is missing is the trigger for the automatic brake. I had to replace the leather stop and unbend the brake a bit, it works fine if I release it with a touch but the tone arm has nothing to trigger the autostop. Does yours work properly? What is the size of the arm that attaches to the base?

Jeff

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Operafan wrote:One thing your machine looks to have that mine is missing is the trigger for the automatic brake. I had to replace the leather stop and unbend the brake a bit, it works fine if I release it with a touch but the tone arm has nothing to trigger the autostop. Does yours work properly?
No, I don't think it does work properly. :-( ...the brake works, but i'm still figuring out the autostop. If anyone has some kind words of advice it'd be greatly appreciated. :-)
Operafan wrote:What is the size of the arm that attaches to the base?
I'm not sure what you're asking... from base to reproducer is about 9".. the diameter at the base is about 3"