Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Featured Phonograph No. 120 Portelec

Post by briankeith »

Name: Portelec
Model: 9C
Mechanical Field Phonograph (portable)
United States Navy
Manufactured by: Pacific Sound Equipment Hollywood, Ca.
Year: no clue but wish I could find out ??
Turntable: 12' flocked
Motor: Single Spring
Cabinet: Heavy wood and metal - painted gray - very durable - heavy - original leather handle
Extras: Crank storage - Needle storage on top.
Tone arm: Metal
Reproducer: Metal diaphragm
Horn: Internal - brown cloth wire mesh grille - exits the top rear

I wish I knew more about this machine - picked up at a local outdoor flea market. Seller Did not know anything about it as he was just a picker selling at the flea market. Plays well, loud and clear. The metal C-Ring is detached from the tone arm which holds it securely into the the tone arm mount - I found the ring inside the case but the tone arm mount is riveted down to the body and I do not want to drill the rivets out. As it stands the tone arm will just sit in the mount and will play the record but not so great. It seems to play both sides of a 10" record without rewinding - no thumping or noise. A nice USN field phonograph. I understand there are a lot more Army field phonographs then there are Navy models ?
Attachments
P11.jpg
P10.jpg
P9.jpg
P8.jpg
P7.jpg
P6.jpg
P5.jpg
P3.jpg
P2.jpg
P1.jpg

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 120 Portelec

Post by audiophile102 »

Terrific machine that covers two collectible markets nicely. I went to a WWII re-enactment in the summer and government issued phonographs were around. If you want to find out more try making contact with the Rockford History Museum. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=23241 Congratulations on finding a nice example.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 120 Portelec

Post by briankeith »

I'd like to sell or trade it because I don't collect portables - or maybe donate it to a Naval Museum ?? It's very clean and works :)