Alarm clock phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramotalk
Victor Jr

Alarm clock phonograph

Post by gramotalk »

I have never seen one like this one. It plays a 6" record when alarm is activated. I have only seen a Peter Pan alarm clock but not this type. Has any information?
Attachments
Alarm clock phonograph.
Alarm clock phonograph.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Alarm clock phonograph

Post by chunnybh »

Very nice. I don't know anything about it. What does the record play?

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

chunnybh wrote:Very nice. I don't know anything about it. What does the record play?
It plays a double sided Mignon record 6". I have never seen a record this size. There are 5" or 7" but never seen 6". It seems to be a german origin record.

Label is not easy to read but it is written in German. When I have done pics I realized tha needle has damaged the label. Phonograph has two brakes, one brake controls the beggining by the clock, and the other one controls the end. I guess I didn't regulate this one too well. :shock:
Attachments
20151214_142338.jpg
20151214_142324.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Geez... I'm *sure* I've seen something very similar before on a book, but I checked them all yesterday and couldn't find the picture! Very nice find, anyway. It definitely deserves some restoration.
gramotalk wrote:When I have done pics I realized tha needle has damaged the label. Phonograph has two brakes, one brake controls the beggining by the clock, and the other one controls the end. I guess I didn't regulate this one too well. :shock:
Not really your fault. The needle shouldn't go over the label in any case. It's the record that lacks an end groove, and also the guard circle is uneffective it seems. The damage to the label looks as if it was not recent, by the way; perhaps the same thing happened many times in the past.

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Geez... I'm *sure* I've seen something very similar before on a book, but I checked them all yesterday and couldn't find the picture! Very nice find, anyway. It definitely deserves some restoration.
gramotalk wrote:When I have done pics I realized tha needle has damaged the label. Phonograph has two brakes, one brake controls the beggining by the clock, and the other one controls the end. I guess I didn't regulate this one too well. :shock:
Not really your fault. The needle shouldn't go over the label in any case. It's the record that lacks an end groove, and also the guard circle is uneffective it seems. The damage to the label looks as if it was not recent, by the way; perhaps the same thing happened many times in the past.
Yes, it was in part my fault. Record was perfect when I bought it. The other side of the record is not damaged. Machine works fine. I disassembled and adjusted clock so time is now syncronized with phonograph brake (five minutes error), and a little oil in motor and clock mechanisms. Brake mechanism controlled by clock is a bit complex. Phonograph motor is very dusty but while it's working I will not do any restoration (only superficial cleaning), I only know about Victor motors, I practised with Victor's motor when I bought my Victor VI because a triple spring motor is easy to find but this one is different, money can't buy another like this and I'm not so expert. Reproducer needs new gaskets but sounds well. I'm in the same case that motor I only know to repair Exhibition and Victrola 4 reproducers and I fear to damage this one that I guess is not easy to replace either.

Thank you for information. I wish I could find that book.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

There were not as many motor manufacturers as one might think. It will likely have a cheap Paillard or Thorens motor. Anyway, I agree that if the motor runs well with some fresh oil, it's safer to leave it alone.

I will check further: perhaps it was not in a gramophone book, but in a clockwork book.

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:There were not as many motor manufacturers as one might think. It will likely have a cheap Paillard or Thorens motor. Anyway, I agree that if the motor runs well with some fresh oil, it's safer to leave it alone.

I will check further: perhaps it was not in a gramophone book, but in a clockwork book.
Thank you very much.

I will try to see the motor. It can be seen directly down the machine. I bougth one year ago, and I can't remember what kind is.

It's not the typical pilars and plate.
Attachments
20151215_143815.jpg

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

i knew i seen this phono, before!,
and its the same one as i downloaded from the web (somwhere???) in 2013
the listings in my archive list it as a terpophon and terpophon had several other clocks on the market aswell as the more well known small travel phonograph
i don't know much about terpophon maybe there are others here who know more?
terpophon clock small 4.jpg
terpophon clock cabinet.jpg
terpophon clock cabinet.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
terpophon clock large 2.jpg
terpophon clock large 2.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
terpophon clock w pathe-norm combi.jpg
terpophon mahogany 1.jpg
terpophon reis.JPG
terpophon reis.JPG (51.16 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
tino

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Wow, perfect. Thank you. Is it the same maker?

I bougth in ebay. That is the photo in auction. It seems like it is not a serial item but hand made. When I saw it I loved it.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Indeed also the motor seems to be some odd "one-of-a-kind" type. At least: I've never seen anything made like that before. :shock: