Alarm clock phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Odeon
Victor I
Personal Text: Stomp off, let´s go !

Re: Alarm clock phonograph

Post by Odeon »

There was an older discussion, if the real name of the company shouldn´t be "Tempophon": http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =terpophon

I think thats correct. "Terpophon" is the brand, "Tempophon" the company behind that. The Tempophon Company (GmbH) had been founded in Berlin, Germany in April 1914:
tempophon1.jpg
tempophon1.jpg (154.35 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Purpose of the Company: manufacturing of Alarm clock phonographs! The inventor and joint partner Max Marcus (Berlin) had several patentes on phonographs (and parts) but also one patent on a Alarm clock phonograph dating from May 1914:
tempophon2.jpg
tempophon2.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Maybe they choose the name "Terpophon" for export? To make it a little bit more confusing... At the same time (1914) there had been also a "Veraphon" Company in Berlin, producing the "Chronophon" Alarm Clock phonograph...

chronophon.jpg
Max Marcus of the Tempophon Company had several other patents throughout the 1920s, all relating to phonographs. A "Tempophon" Company still existed in 1933, now producing portable phonographs.

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Thank you very much. A very interesting and complete information. In one of the pics that sent tinovanderzwan we can see a "terpophone" sound box, but in my alarm clock reproducer is "Mercedes". This alarm clock has a rare design. You can't wind it in the center of the table but in a side because crank is too low and it is very difficult to operate the sound box because free area is too narrow. It would be difficult to use every day. I think this is not an alarm clock phonograph made for an industrial company.

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

Where does the sound go / come out (on the original machine posted)?!

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

A little vertical square wooden horn in right-back corner, behind the plate. 1,5" tall, and ½"x1/2" square, aprox.
20130514_202941.jpg
This is phonograph when I dissasembled it. Horn was broken in shipping. You can see pieces in the right over the book (three wooden pieces), the forth piece is attached back of the phonograph in its place.

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Another view. You can see brake mechanism and horn before repare.
Attachments
20130514_202935-1.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Gramotalk, I have checked the clock books that I have in the meanwhile, but came up with nothing. Perhaps your clock phonograph just remembered me of something else, or I have dreamed about it at night, don't know. :?

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Gramotalk, I have checked the clock books that I have in the meanwhile, but came up with nothing. Perhaps your clock phonograph just remembered me of something else, or I have dreamed about it at night, don't know. :?
Thank you very much. Perhaps you see it in the auction where I bought it.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

gramotalk wrote:
Reproducer needs new gaskets but sounds well. I'm in the same case that motor I only know to repair Exhibition and Victrola 4 reproducers and I fear to damage this one that I guess is not easy to replace either.
Gasket replacement would be simple, here - just remove the outside gasket, carefully swing the diaphragm away, remove the inner gasket, and do the reverse.

gramotalk
Victor Jr

Post by gramotalk »

Edisone wrote:
gramotalk wrote:
Gasket replacement would be simple, here - just remove the outside gasket, carefully swing the diaphragm away, remove the inner gasket, and do the reverse.
Thank you.