Modern style phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Starkton
Victor IV

Modern style phonographs

Post by Starkton »

Were there any modern style, that is American Craftsman, Tiffany or mission style phonographs in the US?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Modern style phonographs

Post by gramophone78 »

There are at least three "Craftsman" style Phonographs that were offered in the US by the big three. The Edison Amberola IV, the Victor V and Columbia offered a desk/Phonograph in the A&C style.

Your top pic appears to be more European Secessionist movement. Your Bottom pic, more Liberty (UK) in style.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophone78 wrote:There are at least three "Craftsman" style Phonographs that were offered in the US by the big three. The Edison Amberola IV, the Victor V and Columbia offered a desk/Phonograph in the A&C style.

Your top pic appears to be more European Secessionist movement. Your Bottom pic, more Liberty (UK) in style.
Excellent information. Thank you!

The furniture on the top picture is a music cabinet by Gustav Stickley, the one on the bottom is by Charles P. Limbert. Both are American Arts and Crafts movement.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Starkton wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:There are at least three "Craftsman" style Phonographs that were offered in the US by the big three. The Edison Amberola IV, the Victor V and Columbia offered a desk/Phonograph in the A&C style.

Excellent information. Thank you!

The furniture on the top picture is a music cabinet by Gustav Stickley.
If that's the case, I would think it's more attributed to Harvey Ellis. Unfortunately, his partnership with Gus was short lived....as was his life. Harvey, was heavily influenced by European and Asian design.

The diminutive cabinet by Limbert you show is actually a uncataloged reproduction (more a creation) in the Limbert style. Had never seen one like it before. Now I know why. Any early Stickley/Ellis or Limbert is very $$$$ and hard to find. I would love to own a piece of either.
That said, I prefer the traditional A&C style of plain and simple... ;). Like the phonographs mentioned above.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophone78 wrote:The diminutive cabinet by Limbert you show is actually a uncataloged reproduction (more a creation) in the Limbert style.
Good to know. The manufacturer then fishes in troubled waters when he calls it an "accurate replica" of a Limbert furniture. http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... cQrQMIMzAG

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Its an interesting premise. I once owned the Columbia Desk Model, I wasn't too thrilled with the large size and small horn, but it was different. I think they may have made several versions. I seem to recall mine had the horn on the opposite end and the drawer and horn slid out when you wanted to put on a record. I saw one recently that had the horn on the front but I think mine was different..

As to new designs its something I have been toying with trying to do. I think most people would object to a "Homemade" phonograph using available parts from an old machine. Still its tempting to consider a design that would incorporate a large horn of some type using a more modern design to the unit it self. Oak seemed appealing an the Mission style is something I would like. Plus the lines make it easier to create than ones with carving and curved legs ect.

I wonder if some of you haves created a homemade design you might put up photos of?

Larry
Last edited by larryh on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Many years ago I built up a Mission design machine which housed a Credenza horn. It had a simple slatted grille, 3" square cornet posts, visible te ions and a flap lid. It was a rather nice job, if I do say so myself. I gave it to someone when I moved back to Cleveland from Boston back in 1988. I know that I have photos somewhere, but cannot imagine where i would find them just now!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The wooden-cabinet Edison A-60 is definitely an A&C design, and the Victrola 8-7 harmonizes well with those furnishings because of it's simple oak cabinet.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Here is an 'Orpheus Phonograf' (sic) manufactured by the Oskar Onken Company of Cincinnati, Ohio. Onken produced a line of Arts & Crafts furniture under the name 'Shop of the Crafters'. It is heavily influenced by Viennese-style furniture of the period with fancy Art Nouveau-style inlays. Onken also produced functional items such as shoe display stands. Unfortunately, the Onken 'Orpheus' looks rather awkward and cheap with little pure A&C characteristics. (Just an aside, when I was heavily involved in collecting Arts & Crafts antiques, I jokingly referred to 'Shop of the Crafters' as 'Crap of the Shafters')
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.24 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

That Orpheus is intriguing... especially the arm and reproducer - any idea where they sourced their hardware ?

There is a jarring aesthetic conflict between those curving pilasters and that... lid... :?

:coffee:
De Soto Frank