A BLACK "Red Record"?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lucius1958
Victor VI

A BLACK "Red Record"?

Post by Lucius1958 »

On Facebook, I saw a post from Adrian Smith, with accompanying photo.

He apparently has come into possession of American Talking Machine Record Disc #17(8?), "The Prize Cake Walker is Uncle Sam", by Dan W. Quinn.

This label was produced for the extremely short-lived Vitaphone Talking Machine; but the only photo of such a record I have seen is in red shellac. This disc is in black shellac.

He asks what the value of this disc might be, compared to a Berliner: what say you?

Bill

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: A BLACK "Red Record"?

Post by gramophone78 »

Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-RPM-MUSEUM-Q ... xyUrZSuFkq
s-l1600.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Why are these records so expensive? Are they really that rare? The one on ebay looks worn with a rough label, and over 3 grand :shock: Yikes!!
Harvey Kravitz.

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Harvey, I'm sure these records are quite rare… Whether they are desirable enough for anybody to pay over $3000 is another matter. Especially in the condition shown.

This particular eBay seller, my78s4u , regularly lists very interesting records at prices that, IMHO, are beyond what the market will bear. I guess he knows what he is doing.

Best wishes, Mark

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone78 wrote:Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
s-l1600.jpg
The label pictured here is not the same as what A.S. posted: his disc has an etched label, and is clearly labeled AMERICAN TALKING MACHINE RECORD DISC, just as the earlier "Red Records" were.

Bill

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Lucius1958 wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:Tell him to check on Ebay. There have been a few on lately. These are later 1903-04 and not part of the earlier Vitaphone brick red records.
s-l1600.jpg
The label pictured here is not the same as what A.S. posted: his disc has an etched label, and is clearly labeled AMERICAN TALKING MACHINE RECORD DISC, just as the earlier "Red Records" were.
Bill
Sorry Bill, I misread your post. I seem to recall an American Talking Machine Disk Record in black sell on Ebay a few months ago out of Australia. Maybe the black was for export..??.

Can you post the pic of the record..??. I can't find the one on Ebay now.
I remember it sold for good money.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone78 wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:
s-l1600.jpg
Bill
Sorry Bill, I misread your post. I seem to recall an American Talking Machine Disk Record in black sell on Ebay a few months ago out of Australia. Maybe the black was for export..??.

Can you post the pic of the record..??. I can't find the one on Ebay now.
I remember it sold for good money.
Here is the URL of the photo in question: I hope it works.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

Bill

GramophoneSmith
Victor Jr

Post by GramophoneSmith »

Hi. Nice to see that my little record got some interest. Thanks Bill for posting here.
I still have the record and have yet to find another of its type in black shellac.
The record (see picture) is:

The Prize Cakewalker is Uncle Sam
Comic Song
Sung by Dan W Quinn

Amazingly the text (T) goes into the grooves!

Comments most welcome.
Attachments
20201016_084256.jpg