Questions on parts for a Victor VV-XIV Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Andy FitzGibbon
Victor Jr

Questions on parts for a Victor VV-XIV Victrola

Post by Andy FitzGibbon »

Hello,
I don't know a lot about Victrolas, but I recently picked up a Victor VV-XIV at an auction. This is a 1911 machine with the first model cabinet, pull out drawer, and the gold-plated parts. The motor, turntable, and crank are all missing, but otherwise it is in great shape.
I am wondering where I should look for these parts, and about how much money I should expect to put into getting this machine back up and running.
Thanks in advance!
Andy FitzGibbon

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Questions on parts for a Victor VV-XIV Victrola

Post by Jerry B. »

You need a Vic V type motor. They are not commonly found but not impossible to find. I like the early Victrolas because each model had its own style and personality. For example, the open sided X, your XIV, and the "L" door XVI were all offered about the same time and each one is totally different. Shortly after this era, the line of models looked like siblings from the same family. That might have been good marketing by Victor but it tends to be boring to modern collectors.
Unfortunately, those early Victrolas shared mechanical parts with outside horn machines and many nice Victrolas were cannibalized by early collectors to complete horn machines. I remember attending Union years ago and seeing all the mechanical parts from a VTLA for sale. The motor was still attached to the motor board and I asked if the cabinet was available. I was delighted to hear that the cabinet could be delivered to the following Union sale. I bought the mechanical parts that year and picked up the empty cabinet the next year and reassembled a historic VTLA. Happy Collecting, Jerry Blais

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Jerry is right that that motor is in high demand, and can cost a fortune (there's one currently on ebay for a buy it now of around $400...but then again, it's been on ebay for about 3 months now). I've seen them running recently around $200 to $300 in recent auctions. However, there is another option. There are some motors that are more common, and can be used as a temporary substitute. When I purchased my VTLA, it came with a motor from a common VV-X. The crank lined up perfectly. Obviously this is not a permanent solution, but it's something you can use to make a fuctioning machine, that won't require ruining the cabinet by drilling a hole because the motor and crank don't line up with the old hole. And sometime down the line you mightstumble across the right motor for a steal. I picked up the correct motor for my VTLA for $50, and it came with other parts that I later sold for more than the $50 I spent. I've recently seen one go on ebay for around $130 (and I'm kicking myself for not bidding on it).

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

If you go for the X motor as a temporary solution, be sure to get the early motor. Isn't that the same motor as a Vic III motor? You have the same problem. It's a high dollar motor but you could get your money back when you find the correct XIV motor. I think these early Victrolas are worth the effort to save them. Jerry

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

You know it is funny about the early XIV as just about three months ago I bought the same machine, pullout shelf and all on Ebay. The tonearm and the bullit brake were missing, but that was it. I only paid about $77.00 for it and had it shipped, so they are out there. Having the missing parts already, I was totally stunned when I won the XIV for such a reasonable price, but Jerry is right, the motor alone can be pretty pricey.

Wes

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Ah-ha...so it was YOU who outbid me on that machine, Wes! I din't really want it that badly, actually, since I've got one on oak already. I bought several machines from the guy who had that XIV, almost all of them projects, but he sold them to me really cheap!

Sean

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Actually the X motor that fit in the VTLA wasn't even one of early ones. It was from around the 1917 period, took a male winding key, and with the lever, half moon type speed control (the pre-needle indicator speed control). I actually have an early XI motor I always intended to see if it fit as well (with the female winding key, and round dial speed control...perhaps one of these days..)

Andy FitzGibbon
Victor Jr

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Like I said, I don't know a lot about Victrolas- does anyone have a picture of the motor I need that they could post, so I know what to look for?
Also, I don't know for sure what all is missing, as this is the first Victrola I've had. The tone arm, reproducer, motor board, brake, and speed dial are all there, and seem to be complete. It seems like all that is missing is the crank, turntable, and motor. Are there any other parts in the motor area whose absence wouldn't be so readily apparent?
Best,
Andy

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

The motor you are looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-spring-Victor-V-V ... 4a9c5833d9

Now, while the seller has obviously done what appears to be a wonderful job servicing this motor, I think the price he's demanding reflects the market of about a year and a half ago. I've recently seen unserviced ones going for $100 to $200 less than what he's asking for.

Andy FitzGibbon
Victor Jr

Thanks for the photos. I managed to find all the parts I need (I hope, anyway). They are shipping tomorrow, so I should have it together in the next week or two. I will post a photo when I'm finished.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help.
Andy