Check out this wild thing

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Check out this wild thing

Post by schweg »

I don't usually post duplicates on the two boards I mainly participate in, but have received no responses so far on an item I'd like others to have a look at and see what they think I have here.

http://victrolagramophones.proboards.co ... thread=834

Please have a look and tell me if you've seen anything like this. I was really surprised to see if sitting there in my little local auction but thought it was worth grabbing.

Tell me what ya think

Thanks! Steve

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Check out this wild thing

Post by Brad »

Steve,

Brian is the Pathé' afcionado, however, Pathé' did import the phono works to the US and cabinets that more fit the North American buying public were made locally, assembled, and sold here. This could be such a beast, even from Europe.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Brad, check the last picture, w/ the dealers tag. It looks like it is from Brussels, Belgium. I'm guessing that this came over on a shipment from either the UK or elsewhere in Europe. This is an auction I attend regularly and containers from UK are common. I've seen so many oak dropleaf tables and giant-sized armoires in the last 7 years it's hard to believe. Usually any phonographs come from loads they get from PA or NJ and it's a bunch of beat up junkers.

I just haven't seen any Pathé machines like this although my experience is mainly what I've seen in books. Also, the lack of a decal made me wonder. However, it definitely is old and I think all the rest of the hardware is what one might find on a Pathé. I'll get into the motor when I return from my trip to FL next week and see if that provides any clues.

Thanks for taking a look-

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Great find Steve.
For some reason, that model looks very familiar to me. I seem to remember the same metal decorations, but so far I've been unable to find where I saw it.
There's a few French/European collectors on youtube that have various Pathé models, so I wonder if it might be worth contacting a couple of them to see what they know about this model??

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I think the dealer made up a custom case using Pathé elements- if Pathé had built this they would have definitely marked it, they weren't shy. The case looks like very good quality work.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I've seen a few pre-1915 table models that lack a Pathé decal (from the etched label era).
One thing that doesn't look "French" Pathé to me is the brake.
All the French models I've seen have the brake & speed control on the side of the cabinet. This appears to have a Thorens brake & turntable, so it will be interesting to see what motor is in it.
Pathé had a pressing plant in Brusells, so I wonder if they were producing their own range of machines as well, not using conventional French parts.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Very nice find!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks for the comments. GShane, I too wondered about the brake. I wonder if in fact this is an early machine, w/o a decal, maybe they used a different brake? I found a pic last evening, dang, can't remember where, of a Pathé machine with this brake. I'll review and see if I can find it.

It's such a weird beast, maybe the comment about a "craftsman" machine may be correct?? Keep on thinking and see if anyone can find one like it somewhere...

It was just so off the wall that I couldn't resist.

Steve

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I was also thinking it could be an early Pathé- perhaps before they started manufacturing their own motors.
Is the speed control located on the side of the machine?
I haven't had a chance to go through the pics in my computer & on disc yet, but I'll do that sometime today.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Correct, the speed control is on the right about 3" in front of the winding crank. It has a slotted crank.