Aeolian Vocalion Art Models

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
solophoneman
Victor II

Aeolian Vocalion Art Models

Post by solophoneman »

Does anyone by chance have any information ie: an original catalogue with photos and descriptions and original prices for Aeolian Vocalion Art model Phonographs ? I would be interested in obtaining a copy of the page which relates to the phonograph shown in this photo. Thanks for any help you can provide for this.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8901 ... 1large.jpg

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Aeolian Vocalion Art Models

Post by SonnyPhono »

I would be interested in seeing some information on this model as well. I saw one of these recently at an auction. It is quite an interesting phonograph!

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

SonnyPhono wrote:I would be interested in seeing some information on this model as well. I saw one of these recently at an auction. It is quite an interesting phonograph!
I wonder if the description and photo of the machine you mention would still be up on the Auction House Website ?

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

SonnyPhono wrote:I would be interested in seeing some information on this model as well. I saw one of these recently at an auction. It is quite an interesting phonograph!
and very heavy as well, thank goodness it only had to be moved to the first floor, whew!!!

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

That's a monster of a cabinet!
Attachments
pic.jpg

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

phonophan79 wrote:That's a monster of a cabinet!
Yes,it also has the largest single, and heaviest lid I have ever seen on any phonograph, with a Piano Finish on the inside that you can see your face in. (See Photo).

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I don't have that machine ad, but on the Edison Group in the "other phonographs" thread on page 3 I have two ads for art case Aeolian machines, you may see something in there of interest.

Larry

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Thanks Larry,

I'll take a look.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

I should have added that this phonograph also has the patented Graduola feature (see the little knob in the lower left hand corner of the pull down middle front panel, and also the patented Volunome dial for setting the tone level (I am no sure how that worked), but the Volunome dial was only featured on the top of the line Aeolian models. Now I need to find a nice gold plated Aeolian Reproducer for this. Does anyone have a lead on where I might obtain one ? It would have to be the gold variety in order to match up with other inside parts.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

The Aeolian was the first phonograph I ever heard. My grandmother had her fathers and it was a table model that had a matching base. It also featured the Graduola knob that pulled out of the front of the cabinet. We spent many a day playing it in the basement as she did canning or laundry till one day a neighbor boy tried to wind it and broke the spring. I was crushed but it started my quest to own them. I don't have an Aeolian, and they don't show up all that commonly around my parts. A friend found a wonderful oak table model one somewhere in central illinois, I wish I had found it, it has a great sound and better yet cabinet.

Larry