Customs fees?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
USlakeside
Victor III

Customs fees?

Post by USlakeside »

Does anyone know what I could expect if I try to buy a low priced (under $500) phonograph from Europe and have it sent to New York? Are there fees and taxes? I really have no experience with this. Thank you!

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Customs fees?

Post by bbphonoguy »

It's been a long time since I've had anything to do with bringing antiques back from Europe, but one thing I remember is that if an item came originally from the United States, then it was considered "American Goods Returning", and there was no duty charged. So, if your phonograph is from an American manufacturer, you may not have to worry about it.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks. Do you need to provide official documents to prove this? The exhibition reproducer says "made in USA"

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

USlakeside wrote:Thanks. Do you need to provide official documents to prove this? The exhibition reproducer says "made in USA"
I don't know. I was always at the unloading end in the U.S., and I was working for someone else. I just know that whenever an item made in the U.S. (no matter how long ago) came over, it was AGR, and there was no duty.

Is only the soundbox made in America?

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Okay! I have some information for you.

The only proof needed is the country of origin being marked somewhere, and you need to fill out a form called CBP form 3311.

Hope this helps!

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

You'll need to prove it's an antique, but antiques are not taxed. At least that's what I've been told when bringing in antique silver from the UK

Nat

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Nat wrote:You'll need to prove it's an antique, but antiques are not taxed. At least that's what I've been told when bringing in antique silver from the UK

Nat
I was working for an antique store when I was involved with this stuff and, back then at least, the definition of what customs considered antique was somewhat restricted (textiles before this date, furniture before that date, and so on). All the items we brought over were sold as antiques, but most of them were not antiques as far as customs was concerned.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Free Trade agreements have eliminated import duties on almost everything, including phonographs. I've had 4 shipped from Europe, and the only question was when some doofus read "phonograph" and then marked it "X-ray photographic plates" - one of the only things on the long list which still had duty! I explained and it was corrected.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Hi Edisone,

Is it as simple as having it shipped to your address or is there a middle man or do you need to pick up from the port of entry? Thanks

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

USlakeside wrote:Hi Edisone,

Is it as simple as having it shipped to your address or is there a middle man or do you need to pick up from the port of entry? Thanks
FedEx right to the house