My new Orthophonic Credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AllWoundUp
Victor I

My new Orthophonic Credenza

Post by AllWoundUp »

Previously discussed here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=3491

Picked this up last Saturday, Orthophonic Credenza X, 1925. $100.00 on craigslist in Modesto CA. I've done some work on it, disassembled /cleaned/reassembled the disc induction motor, cleaned & lubed the tone arm bearings, cleaned/lubed/adjusted the lid supports so the lid closes nice & gently. sealed the connection under the tone arm. Tried it out and it sounds very nice. I think with a lot of elbow grease, it's going to look pretty good.

One question I have is about the big cast iron pipe where it goes into the back of the horn. The connection was pretty loose, I tightened it up but i'm wondering if I should have removed it altogether and somehow sealed the connection first. Problem is I can't figure out how! There's a horizontal metal bar with a bolt through it that pushes on the "pipe" which I can't get out of the way. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark.

1 Closed.JPG
2 open.JPG
3 Decal.JPG
4 Inside 1.JPG
5 Inside 2.JPG

AllWoundUp
Victor I

Re: My new Orthophonic Credenza

Post by AllWoundUp »

P.S. Has anybody opened up a newly acquired phonograph and NOT found about 10,000 used needles in every nook & cranny inside? :lol:

wheelgun357
Victor O

Post by wheelgun357 »

hi Mark, ok this is what you have to do with that machine,,, first loosen the back cast part as much as you can, and get GE Silicon II at home depot in black(looks better) and put it around the mating of the cast iron to the wood, next tighten and reapply the caulk around that whole area, do this too to the joint near the top of that piece where the tone arm comes through, next wherever you see a seam of the wood joints where the horn is asselbled even where it meets the cabinet walls run a bead of caulk and then run your finger over it to get it in there,,,,, take out the front grille and repeat the same upfront,,, after this has set for a day or two,,,, recheck, now wash the inside of the horn with murphys oil soap a couple times then let air dry a day or so, next apply a coat or two of orange oil let dry for a few days and what i did to the one i listen to the most is i sealed the horn with TUNG oil,,,,, it makes such a difference in the sound,,, its almost stereo sounding,,, of coure i have a brass reproducer on mine,,,,but it doesnt make that much difference,,, if you need some tips on the induction disc motor let me know,,, i have a credenza X that i bought 30 years ago and it runs like a champ,, gets about 20 hours a week play sometimes..... regards Ron

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hey Mark!
What a sweet machine. It looks like it will clean up well. My machine's exterior wasn't as nice as yours (and for more money.) FYI: you might be able to clean and patch-up your original felt. My machine's felt had moth holes and a slight groove at 10", which I was able to repair using felt harvested felt from the back and tacking glue from a sewing supply shop. If you're interested, I'll post a picture how-to on the repairs section. Again, excellent find!

Martin

edit:
*** Actually, I went ahead and posted the felt repair how-to in the repairs section.***

AllWoundUp
Victor I

More Pics

Post by AllWoundUp »

Here's some more pictures:

Motor (after disassembly/cleaning
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
Horn:
PICT0007.JPG
Veneer damage at rear of lid:
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0012.JPG
Name Plate:
PICT0016.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Going over the turntable felt with a wire brush (I use a clean cat brush) will remove a lot of dirt and some superficial stains.