Edison Horn Connection

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Energ15
Victor I
Personal Text: "The Denver Nightingale"

Edison Horn Connection

Post by Energ15 »

I just got an Edison Home 11-panel horn. (Black in color of course). When it arrived, I noticed that the two sections have been welded. Isn't it supposed to be screwed together or is it supposed to be permanently attached? I have seen some horns that are screwed together but I've also seen horns permanently attached. :|

- EnerG15

flashpanblue
Victor III

Re: Edison Horn Connection

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
The cone and bell ends of Edison Home horns were not welded together. Their metal rims were rolled over, interlocked and then pressed together permenantly. There is a smaller horn made for the Edison Fireside and sometimes the Gem that was threaded in the middle so you could unscrew it apart.It sounds like your horn has come apart in the past and someone decided to weld it up. I have a Triumph Morning glory horn that arrived in two pieces. I was able to use a two part epoxy called JB Weld to put it nicely back together. You can't even tell that it was repaired.
Pete

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Were 11-panel horns issued for the 'Home' Phonograph? I thought that the 11-panel horns were only standard equipment with the 'Triumph', 'Alva', and 'Idelia' models (and with a different neck, the 'School').
Last edited by JohnM on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Gem & Fireside- 8 panels: $1.75
Standard- 10 panels: $2.25
Home- 11 panels: $2.50
Triumph- 12 panels: $2.75

The No.10 Cygnet was used for Fireside, Standard & Home (in USA)
The No.11 Cygnet was used for Triumphs etc (but was used on all models in Australia)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I ever realized that the big horn had twelve panels! I've always assumed that the largest had eleven panels. Doih!

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Yep, the straight twelve-paneled horn is marked "Triumph" (instead of Home, Cygnet, etc.) and requires a slightly longer front-mount crane. They're relatively tough to find, IMHO.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Here's a Triumph horn (formerly wood-grained) that has a lot of potential and the price is right.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/1576693172.html

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

JohnM wrote:Here's a Triumph horn (formerly wood-grained) that has a lot of potential and the price is right.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/1576693172.html
It's impossible to tell from the pictures but that could very well be an Ideal or Idelia horn. The only difference would be whether it says Triumph, Ideal or Idelia on the decal.