Question on shipping large machines a long distance

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
flashpanblue
Victor III

Question on shipping large machines a long distance

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
In order that I might be able to semi-retire we are going to sell our home on the West coast of British Columbia Canada and move to the South shore of Nova Scotia.The Phonograph collection will be going with us.I have a pretty good idea how to box up the smaller machines, but am not sure what to do with the large stand-up Victrolas and Diamond Discs. We will hire a commecial mover to transport the goods but don't want to have things damaged in transport. Some of you long time collectors must have come across this problem any tips would be appreciated!! If "VALECNIK" is reading this how the heck did you get your machines safely over to Europe. Any ideas on building crates???
Pete

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Question on shipping large machines a long distance

Post by Valecnik »

Hi Pete,

Well I can tell you how I did it and in my case everything arrived safely but of course there's always a risk.

Obviously the machines need to be emptied of all records etcetera.

On the uprights I removed the casters, reproducers, cranks, turntables, etcetera and packed them separately. i also removed the mechanisms from the triumphs because of concern about the boxes getting tossed around.

I removed the mechanisms from the A model diamond discs (with the tilt up bedplate)and early Amberolas, 1A, B, III and packed them separately myself. I did not bring any victrolas. On the C19 and Sheraton I did not remove the mechanism but filled plastic bags with styrofoam peanuts and stuffed the bags in behind the horn until it could not move. Don't lock the lids. I put very thin foam padding between lids and tops of cabinets, between drawers, doors and cabinet, anywhere where things might rub together and chafe. The grills I packed several together using a piece of cardboard, then a grill wrapped in bubble pack, then another piece of cardboard and same process with two or three more grills, then packed them in boxes. Cabinets were then wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard.

I carried all the reproducers for all the machines, labelled to make sure they get back on the same machine, in my carry on luggage. Cranks, casters etcetera went to the checked luggage.

The movers needed to pack the cabinets themselves to be sure no cocaine was stuffed in the Amberolas I suppose. I could not be there when they packed them but I would highly recommend it if possible. I gave them detailed written instructions and also had my friend Phonocookie explain in some detail to them what they were moving. Somewhere along the line, someone, movers or customs, removed the foam pad between door and cabinet resulting in some light chafing on one machine. They rewrapped mine in foam pad and cardboard, removing alot of what I had done.

That's about it except for getting insurance and praying alot. All my things arrived safely....

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

I'm hoping that our house will finally sell late spring. Do you have any additional suggestions for an Edison A-100? I read your tips, but I'm especially concerned about this machine because it's top heavy & has thin legs.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Maybe it's crazy, but I'd consider taking out the mechanical parts of the A-100, maybe taking off the lid & grill for separate packing, and flipping that bad boy upside down so there would be no weight at all on the legs. With plenty of padding it'd travel pretty well I'd think. But remember, I'm left-handed so what seems sensible to me isn't always so...

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Oooohhh an A100. That is a special case. Those legs are pretty small and not very sturdy.

I'd pretty much agree with Schweg. I'd at least take the mechanism out and pack the grill separately. It's not difficult to do. If you have not done it before, know that the mechanism is heavy and it can be difficult to lift out without scratching or banging a sharp corner into the cabinet. I would, while making sure to use the right sized screwdriver, at least remove the lid support if not remove the lid. If you don't remove the lid get someone to help you, holding it way back out of the way while you lift out the mechanism. Throwing a bath towel over the mechanism as you lift it out also helps prevent against accidentally scratching the cabinet as you lift it out.

You may well know about the importance of correct sized screwdrivers, bath towels etcetera. If so, please don't take offense. I go into detail because everybody does not know these things. I've seen many nice uprights all scratched up under the lid or damaged in other ways by careless transportation so to avoid that, I probably mention the obvious in some cases. :oops:

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I had a professional household move about 5 years ago. For the floor models, I took the grills out, removed the repro's, cranks, and casters, secured the tone arms and supervised the movers pad wrap. They did a pretty good job. I supervised the wrapping and they were nice about correcting anything I mentioned. I also followed the machines to the van, and from the van into the new house. I had no problems whatsoever.

We moved about a hundred miles away and had a couple of months overlap between closings, so I shuttled all my records, cylinders, and horns which I believe was the right thing to do.

If you only have one or two machines, you may consider having them crated. Most professional moving companies have packers that are skilled in crating antiques. You could also have them custom box the machine and supervise them telling them just what you want.

Good luck
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?