VV-XI Fumed Oak Price Too High

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Talkophone
Victor II

VV-XI Fumed Oak Price Too High

Post by Talkophone »

I'm going to pickup a VV-XI tomorrow in Fumed Oak. Price is $475 Is that too much?

Larry

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: VV-XI Fumed Oak Price Too High

Post by brianu »

everyone's estimates and opinions always vary on these "too much" questions. if you like it, it's not going to break the bank and you can't find another for less, then it's probably not too much.

beyond that, as with any machine, it all depends on the condition. if what you're buying is a pretty pristine example and you won't have to do anything to it (not even rebuild the motor or reproducer), then I'd say that price may be toward the high end but not out of bounds, especially for a less common version of a common model, like the XI. you don't come across XI's that often that are something other than mahogany or oak... and so long as you're sure that it is in fact fumed oak (and not just really dirty or dark)...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I visited my good friend and fellow collector Stan Stanford last week and he showed me three Victrolas he was selling. The first was one of the first Victrola X's with four doors and vertical record storage in golden oak. The price is $375. The second Victrola is a golden oak four door Victrola XI with vertical record storage and the price is $425. The third machine is a dark fumed oak Victrola XI with vertical record storage and the price is $450. Any of these three are as nice as any Victrola you'll see in any collection. All are 100% correct unrestored original Victrolas Are they worth the price? In my opinion, they are worth every dime of the asking price. My bias is the fact that I like good Victrolas. Jerry Blais

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

It comes down to, is it worth it to you? I don't thinks VVX's and VVXI'x are too valuable because they are so common, but if it has a special finish, such as fumed oak, what's the chance of ever finding another at any price?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

So which one would you take?
#1, Stan's fumed oak VV-XI in superb unrestored original condition for $450.
or
#2, The first example of the VV-XIV in mahogany in very average condition for $450.
WHY???

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Jerry B. wrote:So which one would you take?
#1, Stan's fumed oak VV-XI in superb unrestored original condition for $450.
or
#2, The first example of the VV-XIV in mahogany in very average condition for $450.
WHY???
you mean the XIV model with the tray? I'd probably take that over the other. I think the rarer model/cabinet style trumps the less common finish, unless it's circassian of course, which would class up even a VV-IV tabletop model.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'd take the early model XIV- I think its a more interesting cabinet style than an X or XI: fumed oak or not they are just your standard Victrola style.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd take the almost mint fumed oak VV-XI. Every collector has a different perspective and I base my judgement on condition. For example, I'd take a really nice Vic II over a very average Vic IV even though the iV is much more unusual than the II. I'd buy a IV when a nice one came along.

Talkophone
Victor II

Post by Talkophone »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I drove 100 miles one way and didn't buy the phonograph. It just wasn't quite as nice as I remembered. Also it was the late model with the window for the speed control and the more plain cabinet. Actually would like to have Stan's but since I live in Iowa the cost for shipping would be to much.

Larry