Best-sounding Victor?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Nat
Victor III

Best-sounding Victor?

Post by Nat »

I tend to use my machines more for playing music than for purely collecting them(though they do seem to be piling up!), so my concern has been to acquire machines for the quality of their sound.

I play my acoustics on a VV-X, and my electrics on a Credenza. Acoustic recordings sound pretty dull on the Credenza, and of course the electrics sound bad on the VV-X.

I'm very happy with the Credenza's sound - but what in your opinion, is the best-sounding acoustic machine? I wonder if a bigger/longer horn than the VV-X's might not sound better? What acoustic Victor has the longest/biggest horn?

Nat

wheelgun357
Victor O

Re: Best-sounding Victor?

Post by wheelgun357 »

for victors !
Best sounding acoustic pre 1925 is the L-Drro XVI with the floating horn,

best post 1925 i think is the credenza hands down.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I can only go by what I've listened to, but I'd have to say either the Vic V or Vic VI with the large "flower" horn -- for acoustic records. (Some prefer the #4 or #2 sound box in place of the original Exhibition sound box, but I prefer the Exhibition reproducer.)

For electrical recordings, I used to feel the Credenza with its six foot re-entrant horn was the best, until I heard a well restored 10-50, which was equipped with the largest horn (8 feet) Victor made for home use. SEE -- http://myvintagetv.com/Carsten%20Sales% ... 0-50Ad.htm

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

I prefer the Credenza, whether playing acoustics or electrics. Acoustic Columbia band records sound particularly good on a Credenza - the bass notes sound great.

nipper
Victor O
Personal Text: "Always On Vacation"

Post by nipper »

For me , is just what kind of mood I am in , most of the time I like to play my HMV 193 & 202 .

Not that a 1050 or an 835 are bad machines ,

External horn machine will have to be my V with a wood horn .

Aloha

Nipper
Last edited by nipper on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Best sounding Victor? Hmmmmm... I guess one with a broken spring :lol:

Seriously, I'd have to agree with Orthofan and say the V or VI for acoustics and an Orthphonic for the later discs.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Victor itself I think pointed the way. The Schools machine was designed for the best sound they could demonstrate at the time. And there it is: open oak horn with either an Exhibition or Victrola No 2 Soundbox. Before the Schoolhouse machine was introduced Victor's Education Department under the direction of Frances Elliot Clark suggested a V with an oak horn which of course is essentially the mechanics of the Schoolhouse model. She lived to be 98 years old showing that a little Victor music is good for one's health :lol: .

Jim.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

For acoustics I prefer the sound on my Victor VI with brass petal horn and No. 4 HMV soundbox, though my Vic V with oak horn and No.4 is a close runner-up.

For electrics probably the same 10-50 that Ortho_Fan heard, otherwise an 8-35 (apparently the 8-9 sounds identical, but I haven't heard one).
Adam