Concert Style Brass Horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofolks
Victor I

Concert Style Brass Horn

Post by Phonofolks »

I found this phonograph horn recently. It stands 5 feet tall and is two feet wide at the bell and quite heavy. It is seemless until you get to the bell. The bell portion was attached separately as you can tell by the pictures. So I can't say whether it is a true seemless brass horn. I could not find this horn in any of the phonograph books. Is the horn a phonograph or a recording horn? Was it made to be played with Concert or Grand records? Is it considered a rare horn? The person wants $700 and I wonder if that is a fair price. Overall condition is good with some damage at the rim of the bell horn. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Rick
Attachments
horn2.jpg
horn2.jpg (15.67 KiB) Viewed 997 times
horn1.jpg
horn1.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 997 times
horn3.jpg
horn3.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 997 times

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Concert Style Brass Horn

Post by JohnM »

Not a seamless horn, but it is of the earlier style with the longer curve to the bell. These weren't specifically intended for recording, but they could certainly be used for that although there may not be any advantage to a larger horn as a greater column of air would need to be moved on order to move the diaphragm. This horn would more be used as an exhibitor's horn to provide sufficient 'throw' to reach the back rows of larger venues such as lodge halls and theaters. The only records that had sufficient volume to warrant the use of a horn like this at the time it was made (late 1890's) would have been Concert or Grand diameter cylinders. Likely a Hawthorne & Sheble horn as evidenced by the adjusting bail.

I think $700 may be just a bit dear.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I agree with everything John has said. One thing I will add with regards to recording with a horn like this is that if you decide to give it a try, wrap the entire horn with rope so the sound you are trying to record won't be diminished as it bounces off the walls on it's 5 foot travel to the recorder diaphragm. If you don't use rope, wrapping it gently with a sheet or blanket would suffice.

I also agree with John in that the price may be at the high end of the spectrum. I know someone on this forum who has two 56" brass horns and paid less for them combined than the horn in question. Then again, they aren't the early style like this one AND it looks to be in nice shape. Also, these don't show up for sale too often so who knows? Maybe $700 could be justified in this case. :)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Just don't try to double-box and ship that baby! :shock:
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

Publicity pictures aside, most recording horns did not have a flare at the wide end - they were simple cones. This horn was probably intended for auditorium reproduction use. If it has the small end with the unusual diameter of about 1-⅛" inch or so, it was likely intended to be used with the large Higham reproducer of a Columbia BC. Columbia sold this size and style horn for use with the BC. You will see it and other large horns this size listed in the "Columbia Phonograph Companion, Volume 1" by Hazelcorn. I'm not aware of any horn with this size small end that was used on any other reproducers except the Highams (not sure about the Edison Kinetophone). Large horns of this size were also sold with the standard sized small ends for use with other machines such as the Edison 5" cylinder Concert for auditorium use. If this horn has the larger reproducer fitting end, owners of the BC would probably be interested in it because the BC is often found without a horn. No other typical horn will properly fit a BC because of the large reproducer fitting except the smaller (36 inch long with 24 inch bell) silk-covered, paneled tin horn sold by Columbia for it.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.