Could Someone Tell Me What Kind Of Horn This Is?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Could Someone Tell Me What Kind Of Horn This Is?

Post by SonnyPhono »

I have a horn that I don't know anything about and need help identifying who made it. It looks like an Edison horn in that it is black with the gold paint along the seams. It has 11 panels and has petals that curve outward at the ends rather than inward like the Edison horns. It is about 30 inches tall and about 22" across the opening. Here are some pictures. Does anyone know who made this horn? Thanks for the help!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Could Someone Tell Me What Kind Of Horn This Is?

Post by gramophoneshane »

It looks the same as one I had years ago that came with a Columbia.

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

I recently had a horn that was the exactly the same features as that one, albeit with a different paint job. It was a Hawthorne and Sheble brand. Mine had a little piece of paper glued on the inside of the fitting where the rubber hose would do that said "H&S" on it. You might take a look at yours, if by chance it might be there.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Shane wrote:I recently had a horn that was the exactly the same features as that one, albeit with a different paint job. It was a Hawthorne and Sheble brand. Mine had a little piece of paper glued on the inside of the fitting where the rubber hose would do that said "H&S" on it. You might take a look at yours, if by chance it might be there.
Wow Shane - - do you still have that horn? I've never heard of any markings inside the small end of a flower horn and I'd love to see one. The Hawthorne & Sheble flower horns I've seen have a large hanger mounted directly in the center of a panel, with a circular paper wafer glued nearby.

Judging by the hanger on Sonny's example, as well as its form, I'd guess that this was a product of the New Jersey Sheet Metal Company - - but that's only a guess. It's too bad that so many horns are unmarked.

George P.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I checked it again and there weren't any marks that I could find.

I agree with you George. So many of these horns are unidentifiable which is unfortunate when trying to study the history and evolution of phonographs and recorded sound. :?

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

George-
I have since sold the horn in question, but you actually answered a question about it for me on this board when I first got it. It was a Hawthorne and Sheble "Silk Finish" horn. As I recall, the paper inside the fitting was old and yellowed, and it just said "H&S" and perhaps with a number following it. Here's the original thread with a picture.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... orn#p10966

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yes - I remember that horn; a nice one. I'd love to have seen that little label. I'll keep my eyes open... Maybe I'd better check the ones that are here! ;)

George P.