Victor #405-spring motor -again

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Victor #405-spring motor -again

Post by need4art »

Hi All,
Question I bought the above machine -very nice condition-knowing that I would have to regrease the springs. I have not done a 4 spring 2 barrel motor before. Take apart barrel closest to crank- remove springs-not to bad stack in order they came out-bottom- bottom top- top. make drawing of direction of spring from inside of coil. Do not get back for 3 days, look at drawings pull bottom spring grease-put in same with top not to bad. Do second barrel springs seem harder to get in-am I getting weak?
Get it together-go in house to get a drink and my wife says
" Oh by they way I had to move some of your stuff to get a tool I needed" I now know the springs moved and "I ask did you stack them the same way?" Well you know the look I got... I hooked them the way they needed to go because the springs do have a direction- but may have reversed which was which. Before I installed I placed the unit on a raised surface and cranked it 35-40 times and it ran fine-but the 1st barrel by the crank is not turning nearly as much as the other. Installed 20-25 cranks puts me through a 12" record with gas to spare-do I have a problem?
Abe

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victor #405-spring motor -again

Post by OrthoFan »

From Look for the Dog -- 1994 edition, P-266 (Text from a Victor Repair Manual):

To Put Back the Old Main Springs in Four Spring Motors:

No 1 or Right Hand spring barrel (having the winding gear). Hook the outer end of one spring into the inner hook in the spring barrel with the coils running from left to right or CLOCKWISE and grasping the barrel and springs with both hands, wind the spring into the barrel, being careful to keep a firm hold on both. Lubricate each spring with three teaspoonfuls of Victor Spring Lubricant, put in the separating plate and then the outer spring in the same manner as the first one EXCEPT with the coils running in the opposite direction--right to left or COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

No. 2. or Left Hand spring barrel (having the turntable spindle driving gear). Replace springs in barrel as directed above with the exception that the spring should be coiled in the opposite direction--the inner one COUNTERCLOCKWISE and the outer one CLOCKWISE.

HTH,
Ortho_Fan

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Re: Victor #405-spring motor -again

Post by need4art »

Thx for the help I have that book you would think I would read through it from time to time again-I guess the only way to know for sure is to diassemble the first barrel I KNOW that the second one is right because I took it art and put it together right away.
Abe